Learning Commons Opens to Students and Faculty – Through Photos

Students and Faculty Gather to See the Unveiling of the John Kenny Forrer Learning Commons

• Sophomores Makayla Johnson, Aliah Stoute and Kaprisha Evans try out the new furniture on the inside of the Learning Commons. Evans exclaimed they were the first to sit on those chairs.

• Director of Career Services Sherry Talbott and sophomore Rianna Hice talk about the Academic Resource Suite as Career Services gave out bags of snacks to encourage students to contact them for career search needs.

• The new sign on the John Kenny Forrer Learning commons is placed on the outside wall of the Mary Morton Parsons Foundation Study Area. The sign was placed just a few hours before the library opening on Feb. 24.

• Freshmen Katelyn Harrison, Kate Dear and junior Ben Williams sit on the new outdoor furniture while awaiting the opening of the Learning Commons.

• Students and faculty gather at the entrance of the Learning Commons’ vestibule, waiting for the doors to open at 1 p.m..

• President Bushman and his wife Suzanne Bushman stand inside the vestibule of the Learning Commons, greeting students and staff as they enter inside.

• Bookshelves line the Learning Commons give students access to academic text they may need.

• Students gather around the new Smitty’s Cafe hosted by Parkhurst Dining. It is named after one of the financial donors, the Smith Family. Chris Beach, the Director of Board Operations of Parkhurst Dining, said that there’s a lot of new options at Smitty’s and they want to hear feedback.

• Senior Katerine Evans and sophomore Madison Stalvey relax in one of the new study rooms in the Learning Commons. These rooms have white board eraser painted walls allowing students to be able to write things out as they study.

• (From left) Junior Catie Deflumeri, sophomore Sienna Sullivan, senior Alyssa Breeden and senior Morgan Beauregard grab fruit, crackers, and cheese. Different snacks were available throughout the building.

Brooke DiCicco, Staff Writer