Making the Transition from College to Career

Tips and Advice to Make Your Transition Easier

Sheyenne Hoffman, Staff Writer

Bridgewater, Va.- Transitioning from college to a career can be stressful, especially if you are still not sure with the direction you want to go. However, there are tips and advice that can help any transition a little easier. 

Make sure you have a résumé that is tailored to each job you are applying for. For example, it is a good idea to have a résumé regardless of any job. However, if you have special skills on your résumé, make sure that those special skills fit the job description that you are applying for. 

You may have to adjust your skills depending on the different jobs you apply for. 

Apply to more than one job and check for updated job listings frequently. When you apply to more than one job, you have a higher chance of getting a job quicker. Also, if you constantly check job listings, you may find another job that you like and you can apply to that one as well. 

The best way to get a job is to apply to newer job postings versus older ones. You will have a higher chance of actually getting the job. 

Go out of your way to meet your employers. Showing your face and starting up a good conversation is a sure way to make yourself stand out. Ask them if they are hiring or if you have already filled out an online application, mention it. If you show interest and remain persistent, it makes you stand out and they may be more likely to hire you. 

It is never a bad idea to network. Consider making a LinkedIn account. When you make a LinkedIn account, you will be able to keep in contact with your colleagues. 

LinkedIn is also important because it gives you more information on an employer, which will help you if you want to get in touch with them about a job opportunity. LinkedIn is also a place for employers to find you. Some companies may even prefer their employees to have a LinkedIn account. 

I asked Bridgewater College alum, Dale Ervin, from the class of 2018, if he had any advice for students who may be job searching right out of college. He responded, “It is important to plan as much as possible before you graduate. If you want to know what city you want to work in, start looking at jobs in that area. Do not wait for a job to come to you, because it most likely won’t. It is important to also establish a place to live. If you are planning on moving out, plan on it before you graduate because it will make the transition easier.”  

Getting a job after college may be difficult but following these steps and advice may relieve a lot of the stress that comes along with it.