Eagles Win to Piedmont International University

Volleyball Claims the Victory

Mckensie Washington, Staff Writer

Bridgewater, Va.- The Bridgewater women’s volleyball team took on Piedmont International University on Sept. 25 in Nininger Hall. The game started at 7 p.m. and it was a pink out to support breast cancer awareness. Bridgewater ended up with the victory within three sets.

Piedmont started with the first serve, but the Eagles’ defense fended them off and they won the point. Junior Bridgewater defensive specialist Taylor McNeely dived to save the ball which helped Bridgewater score another point.

Freshman Piedmont middle Virgillia Jones pushed the ball over the net in a fake set and it caught the Eagles’ defense off guard. Piedmont earned a point from this, but the Eagles ended up with the ball again.

Junior Bridgewater outside hitter Rachel Gaston spiked the ball on Piedmont twice to score a point both times which made the score 12-9, Bridgewater. Soon after, senior Bridgewater opposite Deja Booker scored a point with a quick spike to increase their lead in score.

With the score of 23-20 Bridgewater, junior Bridgewater middle hitter Madison Haynes  tipped the ball over to score an unpredicted point for the Eagles. Both teams fought hard throughout the first set with the score being close the whole time, but the final score of the first set was 25-22, Bridgewater.

There was a lot of ball movement during the second set. Piedmont started out with a spike on the Eagle’s defense and scored a point. Booker was blocked by Piedmont, but the point was recovered by McNeely. Sophomore Bridgewater defense specialist Iyailah Friendly served the ball out of bounds which caused it to be turned over to Piedmont.

Piedmont took the lead due to the Eagles’ lack of ball handling. Freshman Bridgewater middle hitter Nadia Valle spiked the ball and scored in between two Piedmont players which put the Eagles in the lead.

By the middle of the second set the score was 17-13, Bridgewater. Piedmont called a timeout due to the increasing gap in score. Junior Piedmont outside hitter Olivia Bullard had scored multiple points on Bridgewater from front and back row hits.

The Eagles had to move around to fill in the empty pockets she would aim at. The Eagles’ defense got it together and pushed back which caused Piedmont to take another timeout. The Eagles gave no mercy and the final score of the game was 25-1, Bridgewater.

Bridgewater Gaston started out with the serve and held it for two points straight. Piedmont’s defense defended and spiked the ball on the Eagles which turned the ball over to them.

Freshman Piedmont setter Hannah Carter tipped the ball in the open area between Bridgewater players and made the point. In return, Haynes received a set from senior Bridgewater setter Victoria Wilson and spiked the ball to score a point for the Eagles. Piedmont called a timeout with the score of 14-9, Bridgewater.

The rest of the third set consisted of ball movement between both teams and lots of communication on the court. Bridgewater took home the victory with the final score of 25-18, Bridgewater.