In-Depth Investigation into Bullying

Bridgewater, Va.- As you will read–and likely know–bullying is a problem. Whether it happens in person or online, bullying is something that affects too many.

This semester, Bridgewater College has held numerous events to construct a narrative about relationships and public shaming; to start conversations about how we, as students, look at and treat people.

From tabling sessions in the KCC to social activist Monica Lewinsky giving an endowed lecture, the College has kept students talking about this issue.

At BC Voice, we wanted to do our part to continue this conversation by compiling information on bullying; statistics, interviews, and opinions from writers here at BC Voice and students on campus.

We felt that this issue was important to dive into and explore because according to the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, 5 out of 22 students have been bullied. To put this into perspective, Bridgewater’s average class size is 19 students, which means that 4 out of 19 students could possibly be bullied on this campus.

While there are many things that can be done to prevent bullying, some people are not comfortable with confronting another person or actively stopping a bully’s behavior. The easiest thing that everyone can do is just be a friend; saying something nice to an individual who could be bullied might mean more to them than anyone realizes.

Holden Andrews, Editor in Chief

Bullying Through a College Lens
Bullying’s Effects on Mental Health
Bullying At Bridgewater College
Opinion: Bullying in Sports
Does Bullying Happen at Bridgewater College?
Bullying in an Online World

Facts About Bullying

Robert E. Resh III, Guest Contributor

The following slides were created in COMM 100 from my persuasive speech on the need to prevent bullying. Source: U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (2019, June 10). Facts About Bullying. Retrieved from https://www.stopbullying.gov/media/facts/index.html

BC United’s Stance on College Bullying
Overcoming Multiple Forms of Bullying

BCVoice • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in