Bridgewater Field Hockey Shuts Out Transylvania

Eagles Control Ball in First Win of Season

Dean Barker, Staff Writer

Bridgewater, VA – 36 seconds into the fourth quarter, senior forward Kallie Moyer scored Bridgewater field hockey’s second goal of the afternoon. It was her first goal since 2016, and Bridgewater’s first win since last October. Saturday was a great day to get back on track, as the Eagles beat the Pioneers, 3-0. With the win, the Eagles improved to 1-6, while the Pioneers dropped to 2-3.

The Pioneers, playing with only three reserves, could only manage to get three shots on the day, all of them on goal. Bridgewater, on the other hand, had control of the ball for the majority of the game, and managed to take 29 shots, 18 of which were on goal. The Eagles had 14 penalty corners, while the Pioneers only managed to get four. 

Sophomore goalkeeper Sidney Varney had 14 saves for Transylvania in the loss, while starting junior goalkeeper Emily Witzke had two saves for Bridgewater. She was relieved by junior Ali Bishop, who had one save. Freshman Brooke Hamm later entered the game as goalie, but did not get any saves.

The first quarter of the game was marked by Bridgewater’s failure to capitalize on opportunities. The Eagles missed six shots, three of which were on goal, while the Pioneers missed two shots on goal from senior forward Briana McCulley and junior forward Lily Kramer. 

The second quarter was much like the first, with Bridgewater controlling the ball. The Pioneers did not even take one shot, while the Eagles took seven shots in the quarter, five on goal. With 9:49 remaining, junior forward Elise Lloyd scored her first goal of the year off a pass from freshman midfielder Meredyth Rankin, making the score 1-0 at the end of the half.

The third quarter was the same story, with no scoring from either team. The Eagles controlled the ball and took five shots. Bishop entered as goalkeeper to start the half. Junior forward Courtney Cooke tried to add to the lead, but was unsuccessful. Cooke’s goal with 4:52 left was waved off, and a last second shot on goal to end the quarter was saved by Varney.

In the fourth quarter, the Eagles were sure to add insurance. Just 36 seconds into the quarter, Kallie Moyer smacked in a goal off an assist from freshman forward Meghan Bailey to make it 2-0 Bridgewater. Just a little under two minutes later, Bridgewater freshman Meghan Obaugh joined the party, with her first goal at Bridgewater off an assist from Cooke to make it 3-0 Eagles. Senior midfielder Emma Uhls took one last shot to try and get the Pioneers on the board, but it was saved by Bishop, who would exit the game to a standing ovation. 

For the Eagles, Moyer had one goal on four shots, three on goal. Senior defender Jacqueline DiFulvio had one unsuccessful shot. Cooke had four unsuccessful shots on goal with one assist. Junior midfielder Karinne Moyer had one shot on goal. Senior forward Georgia Howard missed five shots, four on goal. Freshman defender Allison Thompson had two unsuccessful shots with one on goal. Rankin had one missed shot with an assist. Lloyd had two shots, with one on goal. Obaugh made one of her four shots. Freshman forward Taylor Wood missed two shots. Freshman midfielder Haley Runyon missed three shots on goal. Bailey chipped in with one assist.

The Eagles played #18 Centre that Sunday at home, losing 5-1. They will look to bounce back as they host the Captains of Christopher Newport at 6:00 PM on Wednesday.