The Student News Site of Bridgewater College

BCVoice

BCVoice

BCVoice

Student Athlete Focus: Kennedy Fauntleroy

TGL: The New Indoor Golf League

This+is+the+type+of+environment+that+it+will+be+like+at+a+TGL+golf+event.+The+first+match+will+be+live+on+ESPN+on+Jan.+9.+
Golf.com
This is the type of environment that it will be like at a TGL golf event. The first match will be live on ESPN on Jan. 9.

Bridgewater, Va.- Rory Mcllory and Tiger Woods have come together to create an indoor golf league that will consist of 24 of the PGA tour players that will air on ESPN starting in January 2024, including Tiger Woods.

There are 24 players on the PGA tour that will participate in the league this year, including Woods, McIlory, Justin Thomas, Rickie Fowler, Collin Morikawa, and many more PGA tour players. There are six teams consisting of four players in the team-based TGL league. There will be fifteen holes in each game. Each team will take part in five 3v3 matches. Three players each take turns using the same ball on the hole during the first nine holes of the foursome format. For the last six holes of the match, each player uses their own ball.

“I am really excited for this league and I cannot wait to watch,” said senior Colby Smith. “There are a lot of big names in this league, so it makes it even more exciting!” 

The matches for this league will be an indoor green, and shots into a simulator screen will be part of the matches that take place in a specially designed arena on the Palm Beach State College campus in Palm Beach Gardens, Florida. Every player will have a microphone attached to them, and the matches will take place over the course of two hours. The stands for the crowd to sit completely surrounds the players when they take their shot, and if players are inside of 50 yards of the hole when playing on the simulator, there is a green that players will have to hit an approach shot to. The green also has technology in that it can change itself so that every hole on the green has different slopes and breaks differently. Each player that competes will get a minimum of $500,000. 

“The game of golf has never seen anything like this done in my life, so I cannot wait to watch it when it comes on in January,” said senior Clay Lawrence.

This is something that matters and is very big for the game of golf because this league allows for people who love watching the game to be able to watch professional golfers play in the months of the year where you usually cannot play golf. 

TGL kicks off its first season on Jan. 9, 2024, on ESPN.