Latinx Student Association Hosts the Lotería Costume Party

• Lotería is a game that is similar to Bingo, where players must connect four spaces to win. “The game is a traditional game played in Latin America that was popularized in Mexico,” said senior Bailey Salcedo.

• On Friday, March 24, the Latinx Student Association hosted the Lotería Party in the Boitnott room. During the event, students competed in three rounds of Lotería to win a container of assorted candy.

• During Lotería, participants were taught Spanish words and the culture associated with the images on the cards. One rule that given to participants was to shout “lotería” instead of “bingo.”

• Members of LSA also encouraged participants to come dressed up as one of the pictures on the Lotería card. “The Lotería game uses pictures to match, and one of the traditional pictures is a piñata, which is what I am dressed up as,” said Salcedo.

• (Emily Moore) The winners of the Loteria Party were Emily Moore, Courtney Larrick and Allaynah Jackson

• “We thought about giving out gift cards to the campus store, but we decided to do the candy,” said senior Kelsey Campos. “I was actually excited to go to the store and buy the candy because I got to think back to my childhood and choose some snacks that I would always see as a child or get as a child.”

• (Courtney Larrick) The three rounds of Lotería played were connect four, four corners and blackout.

• LSA has two more events planned this semester. “One event will be a karaoke night in collaboration with the Asian Student Association, and LSA will have a pool party in April,” said Salcedo.

Lamont Jones, Staff Writer