Alumni, BC Bash, and Alcohol

Alumni are Coming Back to Something New

Jalissa White-Jones, Staff Writer

Bridgewater, Va.- Bridgewater College alumni will be celebrating the annual class reunion on Oct. 19. This event will have live music, food, and alcohol will be provided to those alumni who are 21 and older.   

Bridgewater College students are not the only ones preparing for the homecoming season. Every year, the school likes to welcome back  alumni from “different generations.” This is a great way for alumni to participate in homecoming, tailgate, and catch up with old classmates.  

On Oct. 19 at 10 a.m. alumni are welcome to attend the homecoming festival which will consist of carnival games, face painting, and a petting zoo. Student clubs and organizations will be present at this event. 

Colby C. Horne, Senior Director of Alumni Relations and Annual Giving said, “The student clubs and organizations that have tables out are always a hit. Whether alumni were in a specific club or not, they love to make the rounds and talk with current students.” With all these activities there is something for everyone.

The alumni’s homecoming main event will take place later Saturday evening, with the inaugural BC Bash along with some class reunion group events. 

This year’s event will have some exciting new changes. Student-alumni band Red Fawn will be playing music from different decades, food will be provided by Smokin Q’s and Lola Mo’s food truck, and Bridgewater College will be allowing alcoholic beverages to be available for purchase for those 21 and older at the BC Bash.

One concern people might have about BC Bash is the violation of alcohol on campus. Horne disagrees that this will be an issue. He states that Bridgewater College has a special event policy that permits alcohol consumption for those who are 21 and older during “specific circumstances.” 

“BCBash is exactly this kind of special event designed to celebrate alumni who are coming back to BC to celebrate class reunions,” said Horne. The goal for this event is for it to be fun and “hopefully a new Homecoming tradition for many years to come.”

The administration was more than happy about the idea of new changes to this year’s alumni homecoming. Dean of Students Leslie Frere is one supporter that stands with the idea, stating, “While I haven’t been intimately involved with the planning for BC Bash, I am happy to support an initiative that seems to respond to an opportunity for enhanced alumni engagement.”

The administration sees homecoming as a way for current students and former students to interact with one another.

“That’s the beauty of Homecoming. It’s having our current students connect in meaningful ways with alumni. The more we can foster an environment that contributes to that engagement, the better,” stated Dean Frere.

Correction: An earlier version of this story implied BC Bash is open to students; it is limited to alumni and guests.