Eagles defeat Shenandoah in Overtime

Women’s Soccer Makes Late Surge Against the Hornets

Olivia Carson, Staff Writer

BRIDGEWATER, Va. – After four consecutive years of defeating Shenandoah, the Eagles were able to pull together another close win against Shenandoah in overtime on Wednesday, Oct. 16.

The Hornets scored the first goal of the game eighteen minutes into the first half. Senior forward Emily Yergin received a long pass into the box where she shot it right past Bridgewater’s starting junior goalkeeper, Sydney Davis. 

Sophomore midfielder Hanna Randolph was able to score off a corner kick to give  Bridgewater their first goal of the game at twenty-three minutes into the first half, which tied the game at one. 

The Eagles were able to hold the Hornets and keep the score tied throughout the whole second half while taking twenty shots, having eight corner kick opportunities and four saves recorded by junior goalkeeper Sydney Davis. 

With just 41 seconds left in the first overtime, sophomore Hanna Randolph streaked down the right side of the field, quickly sending the ball towards the goal as she hit the penalty box. With a small touch from junior defender Cyan Coates, the ball was placed perfectly for senior midfielder Catherine Haufe. Haufe was able to line up her shot to the left post to beat the Shenandoah keeper and win the game for the Eagles.

Excitement immediately filled the stands when Haufe’s last second overtime shot went in. Eagle enthusiast Sada Hollowell said, “I felt anxious yet hopeful, then filled with excitement when the winning goal was scored!” 

Multiple Bridgewater athletes made outstanding plays throughout the game. Sophomore forward Ana Elson and junior forward Hunter Collier had a combined five shots on goal for the game. Catherine Haufe led the Eagles with seven shots during the game, two of which were on goal, the second shot being the game winning goal. Sophomore midfielder Taylor Corbin played a great game in the midfield, playing aggressive throughout all her playing time, making great contributions for the Eagles. Shenandoah put a lot of pressure on the Bridgewater defense, but the Eagles defense stayed strong throughout the entire match. 

Bridgewater is now 7-5-2 on the season overall and 3-2 in the ODAC, making this their fourth win in a row this season. 

The Eagles will host Randolph College on Saturday Oct. 19 at 11:00 am to kick off Bridgewater’s homecoming celebration.