BC Sports Recap

A recap of an eventful Wednesday in Eagles’ Sports

Dean Barker, Staff Writer

Bridgewater, Va. – On Wednesday, Oct. 23, the Bridgewater College Eagles had games in field hockey, volleyball, and men’s and women’s soccer.

In women’s soccer, the Eagles shut out the Royals of Eastern Mennonite University 2-0 at home. With the victory, Bridgewater moves to 9-5-2 overall and 5-2 in ODAC competition, while the Royals fall to 9-4-1 overall and 3-3-1 in the ODAC. The Eagles were led by goals from senior midfielder Sydney Ryan, off an assist from junior defender Cyan Coates and freshman forward Kala Richardson. BC junior goalkeeper Sydney Davis had three saves in her third shutout in four games. The win was the sixth in a row for the Eagles, who will hope to continue their winning streak at Guilford College on Saturday, Oct. 26, at 5:30 p.m..

Bridgewater Eagles Athletics

In men’s soccer, a late goal by senior midfielder Leo Alcantara sealed a 3-2 victory for Bridgewater over the Panthers of Ferrum University. The win moved the Eagles to 5-9-1 overall and 3-3 in ODAC play, while the Panthers fell to 10-6 overall and 3-4 in the ODAC. The Eagles took an early 2-0 lead off of goals from freshman midfielder Josh Gilliam, assisted by Alcantara, and sophomore forward Luke Stubbs. In the second half, the Panthers scored twice within the course of six minutes to tie the game at two. But with 24 seconds left, Alcantara kicked one into the back of the net for a game winning goal. The win was the second in a row for the Eagles, who will travel to Randolph College on Saturday, Oct. 26, at 6:00 p.m. for a key ODAC matchup.

Bridgewater Eagles Athletics

In field hockey, the Yellow Jackets of Randolph Macon University scored two goals late in the game to beat the visiting Eagles 2-1. With the win, the Yellow Jackets moved to 8-7 overall and 3-2 in the ODAC, while the Eagles fell to 4-11 overall and 2-3 in ODAC play. In the third quarter, junior forward Courtney Cooke scored the Eagles’ lone goal off an assist from junior forward Megan Obaugh. Senior goalkeeper Emily Witzke had nine saves, but gave up two goals with less than seven minutes left to secure the defeat. With two minutes left, the Yellow Jackets had two penalty shots, and connected on the second for the game winner. The Eagles will look for a victory on Saturday, Oct. 26, at 1:00 p.m. for Senior Day when they host #19 Lynchburg College.

Photo by Bridgewater Eagles Athletics
Junior Meghan Obaugh

In women’s volleyball, the Eagles fell 3-1 (25-14, 22-25, 25-22, 25-17) at home to the Yellow Jackets of Randolph Macon. With the loss, the Eagles fall to 20-5 overall and 8-3 in ODAC competition, while the Yellow Jackets improve to 20-4 overall, and 11-0 in the ODAC. The Eagles were led in defeat by senior outside hitter Rachel Gaston with 11 kills and 17 digs. Freshman setter Grace Hayes had 15 digs and 32 assists for Bridgewater. Senior defensive specialist Taylor McNeeley had 26 digs, and senior middle hitter Madison Haynes had five blocks. The Eagles will look to bounce back on Saturday, Oct. 26, at 11:00 a.m. when they host Goucher College for Senior Day, which will be their final regular season game of 2019.