Eagles Defeated on Senior Day

Loss Comes in Overtime

Olivia Carson, Staff Writer

BRIDGEWATER, Va. – On Saturday, Oct. 26, the Bridgewater College field hockey team celebrated their six seniors and came close to defeating the Lynchburg College Hornets after two overtimes and extra rounds of penalty strokes. 

Junior forward Jackie Lerro scored the first goal of the game for the Hornets at two minutes into the second quarter. Lerro drove to cage and was able to fake out senior goalkeeper Emily Witzke and push the ball quickly past her right side.

Junior sisters Kallie and Karinne Moyer connected in the third quarter to tie up the score and lead the game into overtime play. Forward Kallie dribbled the ball down the left side of the field and passed to her sister midfielder Karinne who dodged right passed junior goalkeeper Laurel Nicks and placed her shot to the right side of the cage.

Senior starting goalkeeper Witzke had six total saves in the first half. Senior goalkeeper Ali Bishop played the whole second half as well as both overtime and the shootout and had a total of 15 saves in the game.

The ball stayed on Lynchburg’s offensive side most of the first and second overtime, with 12 total shots from the Hornets. Bishop kept the  ball out of the goal and saved every shot that came her way. 

Lerro took several consistent drives in the first overtime but each shot she took was deflected by Bishop. 

Even though the Eagles lost, the game was still a success in their minds. Senior defender Jacqueline DiFulvio expressed that she thought it was the best the team played so far this season.  “The game was a success in many areas. First, we celebrated the seniors, which really got everyone excited for the game. Second, we took the 19th ranked team in the nation to shootouts. The whole team really came together and we played our best hockey of the year.” 

The Eagles ended up with two successful goals in the shootout from sophomore midfielder Caroline Quigley and junior defender Kelsey Hicks. Georgia Howard shot and scored in the shootout as well but the goal did not count because the ball touched the backside of her stick.

Junior midfielder Emily Dudley scored the Hornets’ winning goal in the sixth round of the shootout right before Quigley took the last shot for Eagles which was saved on the left side by Nicks.

DiFulvio expressed that she is “extremely excited to see what this team will do in the next week and with playoffs to follow.” The Eagles are now 2-4 in the ODAC and will host EMU on Wednesday Oct. 30th at 6 p.m.