Field Hockey Wins Last Home Game

Eagles Beat EMU with Obaugh’s Four goals

Olivia Carson, Staff Writer

BRIDGEWATER, Va. – Before the game against Eastern Mennonite University on Wednesday, Oct. 30, senior midfielder Elise Lloyd said that in order to make it to the playoffs, the team had to win this game or the next game against Washington and Lee. 

Lloyd also expressed going into this game, the team was very motivated to win despite the fact that they knew it was going to be a very rainy evening. 

Just ten seconds into the game junior forward Meghan Obaugh took a shot on goal, but it was saved by EMU freshman goalkeeper Ann Ghally. Obaugh was able to collect the rebound and shoot once again over Ghally’s head to score the Eagles’ first goal of the game at 18 seconds into the first quarter. 

Obaugh’s two shots in the first eighteen seconds were the only two shots in the first half. The Royals tied up the game in the third quarter when freshman forward Juliana Ghally received a hit to the back post from sophomore defender Brandy Troutman and shot right past Bridgewater’s senior goalkeeper Ali Bishop.

Soon after, the Eagles earned a penalty corner and Obaugh shot and scored once again off of a strong pass from freshman defender Allison Thompson.

The Royals took an attempted shot at tying up the score once again, but junior forward Lauren Hartzler shot just slightly too wide off a pass from Troutman during a penalty corner at the end of the third quarter.

Junior forward Courtney Cooke took a strong hit right past the Royals defense for Obaugh to receive and collect her hat trick for the evening. 

At 43 minutes and 38 seconds into the game, Obaugh and Thompson connected again in a penalty corner letting Obaugh get her fourth and final goal of the game bumping the Eagles up 4-1. 

Bridgewater had a total of six penalty corners throughout the game with fifteen shots on goal while the Royals had three corners and only seven shots. 

After the Eagles defeated the Royals, senior defender Jacqueline DiFulvio said that she was extremely relieved to have won this game, stating the team had been working very hard all season but had not succeeded in games as much as they would have liked. DiFulvio also mentioned to win this game and to know that they have made it to playoffs was a big weight lifted off their shoulders. 

This game against Eastern Mennonite was the last time the Eagles will play on their home field this season. Bridgewater will finish up their regular season on Saturday, Nov. 2, at Washington and Lee.