BC Sports Recap 11/7

A recap in this week in BC Sports

Dean Barker, Staff Writer

Bridgewater, Va. – On Wednesday, the Bridgewater College women’s soccer team advanced to the ODAC semifinals after a late overtime goal by junior defender Cyan Coates pushed the Eagles to a 2-1 victory over Roanoke at home. Bridgewater improves to 12-6-2 on the year, while Roanoke ends the season at 13-6-1. The Eagles were helped by a first half goal from senior midfielder Sydney Ryan, an assist from sophomore midfielder Hanna Randolph, and a save from junior goalkeeper Sydney Davis. Bridgewater will travel to undefeated Randolph Macon at noon on Saturday for the semifinal matchup. This will be the third semifinal appearance in as many years for the Eagles, who will hope to advance to their second championship game in three years.

The Bridgewater field hockey team saw their season come to an end on Tuesday night, in a 3-1 loss at Washington & Lee in the ODAC quarterfinals. The Eagles ended the season at 5-14. The Generals improve to 10-7 and will play Shenandoah in the semifinals. The Eagles had one goal in the second quarter from senior midfielder Elise Lloyd, and eight saves from senior goalkeeper Ali Bishop. The Eagles could only manage to take six shots, two of them on goal, while the Generals took 31 shots with 16 on goal.

The Eagles volleyball team was upset Wednesday night at home by Washington & Lee 3-1, (25-23, 25-21, 21-25, 26-22) to end the season in the ODAC Quarterfinals. Bridgewater ends the season 23-7 overall and 9-3 in the ODAC. The Generals improved to 24-9 overall and 9-3 in the ODAC, and will play at Randolph Macon in the semifinals on Friday. Senior outside hitter Rachel Gaston, had 18 kills and 19 digs in her final game at Bridgewater. Senior defensive specialist Taylor McNeely, had 28 digs to end her career. The Eagles had 91 total digs, compared to 86 by W&L. Both teams had 47 kills. The Generals won the battle on errors, with only 22 compared to 28 by the Eagles.

Bridgewater men’s basketball suffered a 97-51 loss at Division 1 Delaware University in an exhibition game Tuesday night. The Eagles were led in defeat by senior guards TJ Turner and Chandler Murray with 10 points each. The game was the first exhibition for new BC head coach Steve Enright, who returns to Bridgewater after one year at Virginia Military Institute. The Eagles were plagued by 19 turnovers, and could only manage to shoot for 32% from the field. The Blue Hens jumped out to a 7-0 lead early, and the closest Bridgewater would be for the rest of the game was down four. The Delaware lead reached as high as 53 in the second half.

Looking forward to the weekend, the #23 Eagles football team (8-0, 6-0 in ODAC) will host Randolph Macon (7-1, 6-0) in what will coincidentally be the ODAC Championship game. The two teams are tied for first place, and with only two games left, the winner of this game will have the tiebreak and gain the league’s automatic bid to the NCAA Playoffs. With a win, it would be BC’s first outright ODAC Championship or playoff appearance since 2005. The Eagles were on the wrong end of a four-way tie for the 2014 ODAC Title, and missed the playoffs.