Coates’ Game Winner Secures a Spot in the Next Round

Eagles Pick Up a Thrilling Win in Overtime

Jacob Hau

Senior midfielder, Sydney Ryan throws the ball in.

Patrick Garber, Staff Writer

Bridgewater, Va. – Bridgewater College junior winger Cyan Coates bagged the game-winning goal late in the first overtime Wednesday afternoon to give the Eagles a 2-1 victory over the Maroons of Roanoke College. This secured a date with Randolph-Macon in the next round of the ODAC Tournament.

Coates has been a revelation for head coach Mike Van Horn this season, after starting the season as an outside back before being moved up the field to play as a second striker for the Eagles. Coates has managed to pick up four goals and four assists so far this season but none   more significant than her goal in overtime against the Maroons.

The game winner started in the Eagles’ defensive third when freshman left back Lexi Winkler cleared the ball down the field where Coates ran onto the loose ball. Coates continued to dribble down the field before beating a defender and shooting the ball into the far corner just out of the reach of the Maroons’ goalkeeper Chris Martin.

The Eagles were on the board first after 25 minutes in the first half. After earning a corner, senior attacking midfielder Catherine Haufe played a short corner into the path of sophomore midfielder Hanna Randolph. Randolph served the ball into the box, where senior midfielder Sydney Ryan volleyed the ball into the back of the net to put Bridgewater up 1-0.

Bridgewater lead up until the 59th minute when the Maroons pulled a goal back to level things up. There was a loose ball in the box where Roanoke’s Tessa Walsh poked the ball out to the top of the box where her teammate, Kathryn Van Orden was awaiting the ball. Van Orden took her shot nicely, placing it inside the near post, past Bridgewater’s junior goalkeeper Sydney Davis tying the game up at one a piece.

After the game, junior midfielder Hunter Collier said,“I think we dominated the game in the first half and we were able to maintain possession and keep our composure. Then in the second half I think Roanoke were just very fired up and we felt safe with the goal we scored in the first half, so we didn’t come out as strong in the beginning of the second half but were able to get our composure back and pulled off the goal when we needed it most.”

Collier also said,“The team is very pumped going into the next round of the tournament. Especially after the close game that ended in a loss to them last time, we are ready to come back and win this time. We know what to expect and are very prepared for Randolph-Macon. I think with everyone’s enthusiasm and strive to win right now we will be going into the game very strong and prepared.”

With this win, the Eagles move on to the semifinals of the ODAC Tournament to take on Randolph-Macon who sit at a perfect 19-0 on the season. During the regular season, the Yellow Jackets edged out the Eagles 1-0.