BC Sports Recap 11/18

A look back at the past week in Bridgewater Athletics

Dean Barker, Staff Writer

Bridgewater, Va. – Bridgewater College’s football team finished the regular season with a dominant 41-7 win at home over Guilford College. Senior quarterback Jay Scroggins threw for 260 yards, completing 22 of his 29 passes, and sophomore running back Albert Mensah rushed for a game-high 89 yards and a touchdown. With the win, the Eagles complete an undefeated regular season at 10-0, and will host Delaware Valley on Saturday the 23rd at noon in the first round of the NCAA Playoffs. This will be Bridgewater’s first playoff appearance since the 2005 quarterfinals.

The Eagles men’s basketball team began the season with two rough losses in the Pablo Coto Tip-Off Tournament. Bridgewater fell in a high-scoring 112-101 battle with Marymount on Saturday afternoon, and was soundly defeated 85-62 in Sunday’s consolation game. Saturday’s game was the highest-scoring game from the Eagles since a 106-100 win over Averett in 2010, and the highest-scoring loss in school history. Seniors Davrion Grier and TJ Turner had 30 points each for the weekend to lead the Eagles in defeat. Bridgewater will hope to get their first win of the season when they host Mary Washington on Wednesday night at 7.

Bridgewater women’s basketball had a rough 0-3 week to start the season. Tuesday’s season tip-off was a 96-82 loss at Southern Virginia. Saturday was an 86-82 home loss against Gettysburg. Sunday was an 106-67 blowout at home against Christopher Newport. The Eagles struggled to get their shots to fall, shooting only 30.7% from the field, 31.5% from three point range, and 58.5% from the free throw line. However, Bridgewater has competed on the boards, averaging 37.7 rebounds a game.