Men’s Basketball Win Home Opener

Eagles Defeat Mary Washington for Their First Home Game of the Season

• Sophomore guard Liam Caswell takes a foul shot in the men’s basketball game against the Mary Washington Eagles.

• The men’s basketball team huddles around their coach during a time out in their game against the University of Mary Washington.

Olivia Carson, Staff Writer

BRIDGEWATER, Va. – Bridgewater was able to collect their first win of the season as well as the first win for their head coach Steve Enright in Nininger Hall against the Mary Washington Eagles.

The team has gone through many changes this season from losing almost half of their roster from the previous year to former head coach Shawn Postiglione resigning in September of this year.

Before the game on Wednesday Nov. 20, sophomore forward Kellen Hodge expressed that he wasn’t sure how the team was going to perform against Mary Washington. “Mary Washington is undefeated this season and we have not won a game yet, so it will be interesting to see the outcome of this game. I am hoping that the energy will be high and we can pull through with a win considering it is our first home game of the season,” says Hodge. 

Mary Washington held the lead in the first half until junior guard Will Bowser shot two back-to-back 3-pointers to push Bridgewater into the lead. Following Bowser’s six points, sophomore guard Liam Caswell and freshman guard/forward Jalil Langston both went 2-for-2 at the foul line to put Bridgewater up by 8. 

The visitors stepped up at the end of the first half and quickly took the lead. Hodge scored off of a pass from Bowser with just seconds left in the half but it wasn’t enough to take the lead from Mary Washington. 

Bridgewater responded in the second half and outscored the visitors to push themselves ahead. The lead was then regained by the visitors, until a 3-pointer by senior guard Chandler Murray put Bridgewater back on top.

Junior guard for Mary Washington Anias Saunders scored from the paint to tie up the score until Caswell made a 3-pointer to put Bridgewater in the lead for the rest of the game. 

Bridgewater ended the game with a four point lead and double figures from five players. 

The Eagles played again at home on Saturday, Nov. 23 against Pfeiffer University at 6:00 p.m. Bridgewater lost in overtime, 98-96.