BC Sports Recap 11/24

A Recap in the Past Week in BC Sports

Dean Barker, Staff Writer

Bridgewater, Va. – The #20/21 Bridgewater football team saw their historic undefeated season come to an end after they were beat 30-22 by #9 Delaware Valley at home on Saturday in the first round of the NCAA Playoffs. The loss was the only blemish this year for the Eagles, who finish the season 10-1 overall and 8-0 in the ODAC. It snapped a 14 game win streak that dated back to last season. It was Bridgewater’s first playoff game since the 2005 season. With 3:38 left in the 3rd quarter, the Eagles were up 19-10, but Delaware Valley scored 20 straight points to seal the win. Senior quarterback Jay Scroggins threw for 227 yards in his final collegiate game. Scroggins is one of the Eagles’ 23 seniors who saw their college football careers come to an end on Saturday. Sophomore running back Devonte Smith had 57 receiving yards. Delaware Valley had the ball for 35:37, which ultimately helped push them to victory.

Eagles men’s basketball went 1-1 this week, getting their first win over Mary Washington 84-80 at home on Wednesday, and losing a tight contest on an overtime buzzer-beater Saturday, 98-96 hosting Pfeiffer. The two games move Bridgewater’s record to 1-3 on the season. The loss was especially rough for Eagles head coach Steve Enright, who used to coach at Pfeiffer. Chandler Murray led the team in scoring for the week, with 24 and 18, respectively. The Eagles will hope to bounce back when they travel 20 minutes north to take on Eastern Mennonite University Monday night at 7 in their first ODAC competition.

Bridgewater women’s basketball’s lost 83-51 at Washington & Lee on Thursday, and fell 77-60 Sunday at home to William Peace. The losses drop the Eagles to 0-5 overall and 0-1 in the ODAC. The Eagles struggled to see their shots fall, shooting 26.4% from the field last week. They will hope to snap their losing streak on Tuesday night at 6 when they host Mary Baldwin.

The Eagles swim teams began competition in the Randolph Macon Yellow Jacket Invitational on Saturday. Freshman Ryan Cunningham set a school record in the 200 yard IM and placed 16th in 2:06.48. Jessica Touve finished 14th in the 500 yard free at 5:29.44. By cutting a second off her time, she would’ve broken the school record.The Yellow Jacket invitational concluded on Sunday. The event was not completed by press time.