BC Sports Recap 1/27

A Recap of the Past Week in Bridgewater Athletics

Dean Barker, Staff Writer

Bridgewater, Va. – The Eagles’ women’s basketball team pushed their winning streak to seven with a 77-47 home win against Virginia Wesleyan and a 79-73 win at Lynchburg. After losing their first six games, Bridgewater has won ten of their last 12 games to move to 10-8 overall and 9-2 in ODAC play. This puts the team in a three-way tie for first. 

“Outside of basketball, we’ve been growing together as a team, which is really helping us out,” said junior guard Ahlia Moone, who won ODAC player of the week last week.

The Eagles were led in both games by junior guard Madison Baum and Moone. Baum had 10 points against

Virginia Wesleyan and a career-high 34 points at Lynchburg. Moone added 21 points on Wednesday and 16 points on Saturday – all off the bench. The Eagles hope to continue their winning on Wednesday night at 7:30, when they host the Royals of Eastern Mennonite University.

Bridgewater men’s basketball lost a high-scoring 103-97 affair at Shenandoah University. The team also fell at home 88-76 to Virginia Wesleyan. The two losses dropped the Eagles to 6-12 overall and 2-7 in ODAC competition and pushed their losing streak to five. 

Bridgewater was led in defeat by senior guard Chandler Murray, who had the two highest-scoring games of his career, scoring 33 points with nine rebounds in the Shenandoah game and 30 points against Virginia Wesleyan. 

Senior forward Davrion Grier kicked in with 15 points at Shenandoah and had a double-double with 17 points and 11 rebounds versus Virginia Wesleyan. The Eagles will try to snap their losing streak on Wednesday night at 5, when they take on Eastern Mennonite. 

The men’s track and field team competed at the Liberty Kickoff on Jan. 24 and 25. Sophomore Michael Lotts set a BC and ODAC record in the weight throw at 17.91 m to take first place, breaking a record he set earlier in January. Sophomore Griffin Simpson had a 4.10 m pole vault to finish sixth. 

Senior Devontae Womack had a 6.87 m long jump to finish tenth overall and joined Chris Atkins, James Mayo and Dexter Walker in the 4×400 meter relay. The relay team placed thirteenth at 3:25.33. The Eagles will be back in action on Friday, Feb. 7 at the Camel City Invitational.

The women’s track and field team also competed at the Liberty Kickoff. Seniors Calista Ariel and English Jackson) respectively placed fifth and seventh in the 3,000 meter race, with the second and fourth fastest times in BC history. Ariel ran a time of 10:14.78 and Jackson ran a time of 10:26.75. 

Senior Felicia Clements placed twelfth in the high jump at 1.55 m. Sophomore Kacee Hooker ran a 1:02.07 in the 400 meter race and 26.61 in the 200 meter race, both of which qualified for the top ten in Bridgewater history. The Eagles will be off until the Camel City Invitational in Winston Salem, NC. on Feb. 7.

The equestrian team started the show season with an eighth place finish at the Tournament of Champions Show at the Savannah College of Art and Design. Freshman Emily Nuthall finished second in the limit division, while four other riders had fourth place finishes for the Eagles. They will compete next on Feb. 9 at Washington and Lee.

The men’s swimming team suffered a heartbreaking 79-72 loss on Saturday against Virginia Wesleyan on Senior Day. Sophomore Benjamin Dillon’s 1:04.78 time in the 100 fly narrowly lost to a time of 1:04.77 from VWU’s Caleb Royce, giving the Marlins nine points and securing the victory.

Senior Dylan Shannon swam alongside Dillon, Ben Williams, and Tito Alcazar in the 800 meter free relay, with a school record time of 10:21.33. It was the fifth school record that Shannon set in his career. Next, the 4-10 Eagles will compete in the ODAC Championships on  Feb. 6-9.

The women’s swimming team destroyed Virginia Wesleyan 130-57 on Saturday for Senior Day. Senior Olivia Heeb-Wade won the 100 meter breast at 1:23.10 and senior Genevieve Young won the 200 free at 2:32.26. The 11-5 Eagles won a total of nine events on Saturday and will hope to continue their success at the ODAC Championships on Feb 6-9.