BC Sports Recap 2/3

A Recap in the Past Week of Bridgewater Athletics

Dean Barker, Staff Writer

Bridgewater, Va. – The Eagles men’s basketball team pushed their losing streak to seven with a 80-67 home loss to Eastern Mennonite University on Wednesday and a 73-65 road loss to Ferrum on Saturday. The two losses moved Bridgewater to 6-14 overall and 2-9 in ODAC competition. The Eagles are now ranked twelfth in the conference with five games left in the regular season. They can finish no higher than seventh place.

On Wed., Bridgewater was simply not able to overcome the 14 point deficit at the half. They would get no closer than down seven the rest of the way. The Royals were led by junior point guard Tim Jones, who had 27 points. The Eagles were led in defeat by senior guard Chandler Murray and senior forward Davrion Grier.  Murray scored 22 points and Grier scored 17 points.  

On Sat., the Eagles were plagued by 16 turnovers and 26.7% of those were from the three point range. A late Murray free throw cut it to 61-60 with 3:36 left, but the Panthers of Ferrum went on a 12-6 run to close out the game and seal the win. The Eagles were led by Murray with 24 points, while sophomore guard Will Bowser scored 13 points and Grier had 11 points. Junior guard Monte Simpkins had 7 points and 12 rebounds.

The Eagles will host Randolph Macon on Wed., Feb. 05 at 7 p.m. in Nininger hall.

The Bridgewater women’s basketball team pushed their winning streak to nine in a row with a 70-57 home win over EMU on Wed. and a 62-43 home win against Randolph on Sat. The Eagles moved to 12-8 overall and are in a tie with Washington and Lee for first place in the ODAC at 11-2. The team will be at least a number seven seed in the upcoming ODAC playoffs. 

The Eagles outscored the Royals 39-24 in the second half to take the rivalry game, despite being out-rebounded 60-41. Junior guard Ahlia Moone had a double double with eleven points and 10 rebounds to help lead the way. Freshman guard Jasmyn Pierce and junior guard Madison Baum had 16 and 15 points, respectively. 

“We rebounded really well, I was really impressed with that,” said head coach Sarah Mathews, referencing the Eagles’ 23 offensive rebounds. 

On Sat., aside from one 6-6 tie in the first quarter, the Eagles led the whole way. Bridgewater only made two three point shots, but were able to function with 22 points in the paint. Bridgewater was led by sophomore forward Erika Nettles with 15 points and seven rebounds. She was helped by Baum, who had 10 points, and sophomore forward Makayla Johnson, who had eight points and 11 rebounds. 

The Eagles will travel to Ferrum on Sat. afternoon at 4:30 p.m. 

On Sunday, the Bridgewater equestrian team had a perfect score of 21 and won all four divisions to win their home show. Seniors Melissa Lempicki, Jemma Constant and Jenny Searles, along with sophomores Devon Francis and Michael Golinowski all won their events. Sophomore Connor Poe and freshmen Nicole McBride-Glascock and Kelly McGill all placed third.

The Eagles will have an IHSA event at Washington and Lee on Sat., and then an IDA event at Virginia Tech on Sun.