Men’s Basketball Recap 2/10

A Recap of the Past Week

Dean Barker, Staff Writer

Bridgewater, Va. – After a rough 83-69 home loss to number three seeded Randolph Macon on Wednesday, the Bridgewater men’s basketball team snapped an eight game losing streak with a 109-90 home win over Emory and Henry on Saturday. The win was the Eagles’ highest scoring game since a 129-112 home win over Emory & Henry in 2008. 

Bridgewater improved to 7-15 overall and 3-10 in ODAC competition, while the Wasps fell to 5-17 overall and 2-11 in ODAC play. The Eagles now sit in a four-way tie for ninth in conference standings, with three regular season games remaining. The top ten teams will move on to the ODAC playoffs.

On Saturday, the Eagles had five players score in double figures to total 90 points, matching Emory and Henry’s overall score. Senior guard Chandler Murray had 31 points, senior forward Davrion Grier had 22 points, senior guard TJ Turner added 16 points, Jalil Langston scored eleven  points and Monte Simpkins chipped in with ten points. 

Grier was awarded ODAC player of the week for this game and his 24 point performance on Wednesday. 

The Wasps also had five players in double figures: senior guard Colin Molden had a game-high 35 points and sophomore guards Micah Banks and Anthony Williams, freshman forward Dylan Catron and freshman guard Kevin Grau Rodriguez had 12 points each. 

The Eagles will hope to continue off of Saturday’s momentum when they travel to Randolph on Wednesday night at 7.

A dominant 26-10 fourth quarter helped the women’s basketball team defeat Ferrum 79-65 on the road on Saturday. With the win, the Eagles are now all alone in first place at 12-2 in ODAC play and 13-8 overall. Bridgewater has won 10 games in a row, and 13 of their last 15, despite losing their first six games of the season.

The Eagles had two players with double-doubles, and five players in double figures. Erika Nettles led the team with 18 points and 13 rebounds, and Ahlia Moone had 10 points and 10 rebounds. Both players came off the bench, and Nettles only played for 16 minutes. Kayla Darr had 16 points and 8 rebounds, Diamond Husky had 12 points, and Mary Ruth Shifflet added 10 points. The Eagles won every statistical category except three point percentage and free throw percentage. 

Bridgewater women’s swimming finished fifth with 235 points at the ODAC championships this past weekend. Senior Olivia Heeb-Wade earned the Bonnie Kester Sportsmanship Award and an All-ODAC recognition to finish her career. She placed fourth in the 1650 yard free with a time of 18:09.36, which was a school record. Heeb-Wade, senior Genevieve Young, and sophomores Zoe Moore and Jessica Touve finished fifth in the 400 free relay at 3:50.10.

The men’s team finished 8th at the ODAC championships with 140 points, beating Greensboro by one point. Ryan Cunningham improved his school record in the 200 yard fly to 2:00.19 to finish 9th. Sean Cunningham swam a 2:24.61 to set a school record in the 200 breast and finish 14th. Austin Bacon swam a 17:12.66 in the 1650 free to finish 7th. During Sunday’s preliminaries, senior Dylan Shannon set a school record for the 200 back at 2:16.33 in his final meet at Bridgewater.