BC Sports Recap 2/17

A Recap of the Past Week in Bridgewater Sports

Dean Barker, Staff Writer

Bridgewater, Va. – The Bridgewater baseball team started their season with three games this weekend. The team won both installments of a double-header in Fayetteville on Saturday, winning 6-1 against DeSales and 8-5 against Arcadia.  Then they fell 12-3 at Methodist on Sunday. 

The Eagles now stand at 2-1 on the season. They will play again at home this weekend, with a Saturday double-header against Messiah and a Sunday double-header against DeSales. For both double headers, games will be at 11 a.m. and 2 p.m.

In game one on Saturday, the Eagles were led by senior left-handed pitcher Tucker Garrison. Garrison struck out five and gave up only four hits, one walk and one unearned run in six innings to get the win.

In game two, junior second baseman Kevin Navedo went 2-3 with a home run, an RBI single and a walk which brought in a run. 

On Sunday, Bridgewater was plagued by defensive struggles. The team gave up nine earned runs and had three errors. 

After a ten game winning streak for the Bridgewater women’s basketball team, the Hornets, whether those of Shenandoah or Lynchburg, both stung the Eagles this week. Shenandoah snapped the BC winning streak Wednesday with a 83-70 upset at Bridgewater. Then the Eagles dropped a close 67-59 game on Saturday at home.

The Eagles fell to 13-10 overall, and 12-4 in ODAC competition. With these two losses, the Eagles cannot win the regular season ODAC title outright, therefore they will not be the number one seed in the upcoming playoffs. 

The Eagles were led in defeat on Wednesday by junior guard Madison Baum, who had 26 points, but fouled out. On Saturday, which was senior day, junior guard Ahlia Moone led Bridgewater with 20 points.  Freshman guards Jasmyn Pierce and Mary Ruth Shifflet both had 10 points and 7 rebounds. 

The Eagles will conclude their regular season this week with a 6 p.m. Wednesday battle at local rival Eastern Mennonite University and a 4:30 game at Emory & Henry on Saturday afternoon. 

The Bridgewater men’s basketball team won a close 85-80 battle at Randolph College on Wednesday. They were led by senior guard Chandler Murray, who had 23 points, six rebounds and four steals.

Then the Eagles fell 76-44 at Roanoke College on Saturday for Senior Day. Bridgewater was paralyzed by Roanoke’s defense, only scoring 12 points in the first half. On Saturday, sophomore guard Liam Caswell led the Eagles with 17 points. 

The Eagles will conclude their regular season on Saturday at Hampden Sydney. With a win and a loss from either Eastern Mennonite or Shenandoah, the Eagles could clinch a spot in the ODAC playoffs.

In equestrian, the Bridgewater IDA team placed second at the Emory and Henry show with 15 points. The Eagles also won the reserve championship for the region. 

Sophomore Michael Galinowski won first level in the dressage seat equitation. Senior Jemma Constant won reserve championship in upper training, while sophomore Devon Francis won in lower training. 

Along with Galinowski, seniors Melissa Lempicki and Jenny Searles, who were champions of their divisions, will compete in April at the IDA National Championship. Lempicki also won the IDA Region H annual sportsmanship award.