Bridgewater College Closes Campus for Remainder of Spring Semester

As Changes Are Implemented Throughout the Nation “We Must Change Too”

With nearly all students studying online, campus grounds are empty

Holden Andrews, Editor in Chief

Bridgewater, Va. – After President David Bushman announced on March 11 to close Bridgewater College’s campus and institute a period of distance learning, today the temporary measure was extended for the remainder of the spring semester. 

In an email to students on March 16, Bushman said that based on the CDC’s guidance to limit gatherings of 50 or more people for the next 8 weeks, the College will operate under distance learning for the rest of the semester. 

Most dramatically, this means the cancellation of founder’s day and commencement; however, Bushman said in a phone interview following the email that other avenues are being explored for commencement. 

“There are going to be a lot of different questions from students about things like housing, graduation and classes. I will tell you all of our faculty will work extremely hard to help students answer these questions. I encourage students to communicate with faculty about any academic issues they have,” said Bushman. 

“Second, this is all moving very fast. From the original announcement about distance learning to the announcement on March 16, we are working extremely hard and making decisions for overall safety and well-being, as well as academic success.”

The email also said that all May term travel courses are cancelled, but that online courses may be added. “We will work with students who need to complete requirements for graduation during May term,” said Bushman. 

“We seniors have all worked so hard to be able to walk across the stage at Commencement, said senior Jason Moughon. “Most of all I feel shocked because the entire process was incredibly abrupt, and I wish I had more time to say goodbye to my friends.”