Bridgewater Student Services are Still Pursuing their Mission of Helping Students

Writing Center Tutors and Digital Scholarship Gurus are Prepared to Assist Online

• Writing Center tutors and Digital Scholarship Gurus are both available to assist students with writing assignments and digital projects through online platforms such as Google Meet, Zoom, and Google Suite tools.

• After having recently moved into their homes in the Forrer Learning Commons, the Writing Center and Digital Scholarship Gurus are now finding new ways to help students succeed in the online setting.

Samantha Hince, Staff Writer

Bridgewater Va. – As students adjust to online learning from home during the COVID-19 pandemic, Student Services at Bridgewater College continue to provide support and assistance to students. While both the Writing Center and the Digital Scholarship Gurus offered online services even while on campus, they are now fully online platforms.

Writing Center

The Writing Center, which recently moved from the third floor of Bowman to the Academic Resources Suite in the newly-opened John Kenny Forrer Learning Commons, offered an option where students could meet in person with a Writing Center tutor. Due to the campus closure, however, all tutoring is being done online through email and Google Suite tools. 

“We are disappointed that we can’t continue offering face-to-face writing help in our beautiful new quarters in the Forrer Learning Commons,” said Writing Center Director and Professor of English Alice Trupe, “but most of the tutors are already experienced in online tutoring, and all of them are ready to help their peers.” 

The Writing Center’s online hours have been increased from 30 hours per week to 55 hours per week. Tutors are available online Sundays 6:00 p.m. – midnight, Mondays-Thursdays 1:00 p.m. – midnight, and Fridays 1:00 – 6:00 p.m. Students who would like to request a tutor can email [email protected]. More information can be found at the Writing Center website.

Digital Scholarship Gurus

The Digital Scholarship Gurus, who also recently moved to their new home at the Forrer Learning Commons, are working on new ways to stay connected with students. According to Emily Goodwin, Director of Instructional Design at Bridgewater College, not only are the Digital Scholarship Gurus actively monitoring email to field questions from students, they are also using social media to encourage interaction and to keep students connected while away from campus. 

Students looking for help with digital projects can email [email protected], or send a message to the Gurus through Instagram or Facebook. Students can then set up a meeting with a Guru through Google Meet or Zoom. For more information on the Digital Scholarship Gurus, as well as resources for digital projects, visit their website.

Goodwin has been instrumental in helping the campus adjust to online learning, including providing resources and leading trainings for professors. 

As for students, Goodwin said online classes may present the challenge of “out of sight, out of mind.” 

“Students should make sure to stay up to date with classes by checking Canvas and checking their email,” said Goodwin. “And remember, we’re all in this together. This is not something that the campus in general had planned to do.” 

Goodwin’s tips for students in online classes are to stay in contact with professors, to not hesitate to ask questions, to stay connected with friends, and to take care of themselves, including going outside for fresh air as much as possible.

Trupe also had some words of wisdom for students during this time.

“​We are going through enormous changes, and we need to give ourselves some space for grieving. My advice to students is to stay connected with one another, do something kind for someone, and schedule time to do something for yourself every day,” said Trupe. “If you take care of your emotional needs, you’ll find it easier to focus on your schoolwork when it’s time to turn to the books and dig in.”