A New Eagle on the Women’s Soccer Team

Freshmen Hannah Nugent Prepares to Leave her Mark on Bridgewater Athletics

Hannah+Nugent

Bridgewater Eagles Athletics

Even though Hannah Nugent knew there would not be a fall season this year, she still worked hard to prepare for playing at the collegiate level by playing in summer leagues with a variety of players.

Alexis Brown, Staff Writer

Bridgewater, Va. – Hannah Nugent is a freshman defensive midfielder on the women’s soccer team, majoring in history and liberal studies at Bridgewater College. 

Nugent played soccer at Patriot High School in Nokesville, Virginia, and has played soccer since she was three years old. Soccer is a family tradition, as her dad was also a collegiate soccer player. 

“The coach had shown real interest in me, and when I started to look into them, they had just beat Lynchburg and really balled out, so I knew the program was going to be great,” Nugent said of why she chose Bridgewater. “And also, my interactions with everyone here was better than any other school I had been to. I felt welcomed in everything and I could see myself being at home here,” said Nugent.

Despite the good impression she got of Bridgewater, Covid-19 has still impacted her freshman experience.

“It’s been hard with COVID. We only trained for a bit and then it became too much,” Nugent said. “The hardest part is not being able to play and have a season this year. Although I have had a great transition and bonding with the other players, I feel like we would be so much closer if we could be on the field together.”

The changes around the virus have shaped her experience as a student athlete.

“If we had a regular season, I feel like I would have needed a really focused mindset. I would have had to be on top of my work, take care of my body physically, and myself mentally because of the new environment. But since we do not have training and practice, I haven’t had a chance to really get the full effect of being a student athlete,” said Nugent.

Nugent also adds that because she has not had the full student athlete experience yet, she knows she needs to grind more than ever before so that she will be prepared for when the time does come.

“I was nervous coming in to play with older people. I knew I needed to toughen up and play faster. I know it will be a great experience and I am ready to adapt to it,” said Nugent.

Despite the fall season being on hold, Nugent has big plans for her collegiate soccer career. 

“I want to be in the NCAA at least once. I want to win ODACs at least once. I have high hopes for the freshman players making big changes and setting the tone for future soccer players that are to come in over the next years,” said Nugent.