Bridgewater College Republican Club Unhappy with the Selection of Endowed Lecturers

Former Republican National Committee Chair Not Considered a ‘True Republican’

Michael+Steele

Jens Schott Knudsen (obtained through creative commons)

Michael Steele, the former chairman of the Republican National Committee, will be conducting an endowed lecture webinar on Sept. 15, 2020.

Isaac Miller, Radio Manager

Bridgewater, Va. – The Bridgewater College Republican Club are satisfied with some of the conservative speakers that have given endowed lectures at the college in recent years and are especially unhappy with the Sept.15 lecture by Michael Steele. 

Steele is a former head of the Republican National Committee and current senior advisor for the Lincoln Project — a group of national Republicans who oppose the re-election of President Donald Trump. 

Chairwoman of the Bridgewater College Republican Club Erika Spaulding believes it is somewhat misleading to have Steele, a Republican, give a lecture before an election when she sees his ideas as “moderate, at best,” adding that “we don’t consider Michael Steele a true Republican.” 

The club is further angered that Symone Sanders, a senior advisor for Joe Biden’s campaign, is scheduled to give an endowed lecture this semester on Oct. 12. The club believes that the lineup of speakers is tilted in favor of Democratic candidate Joe Biden, because neither of the lecturers are in direct support of Donald Trump. 

“The Republicans [the college] are choosing are not strong in their Republican beliefs,” Spaulding said. “If [the college] is going to say they’re so diverse, they need to start acting on it, and they need to start bringing conservative speakers.”