Sports Practices are Set to Start This Week

Bridgewater College Athletics Move Towards a Return to Practice

Nininger+Hall

Leyton Pullin

Access to the Nininger Hall gym is restricted as a part of Bridgewater College’s Covid-19 guidelines. With the resumption of sport practices this week, the gym will experience increased traffic once again.

Leyton Pullin, Staff Writer

Bridgewater, Va. – Bridgewater College athletics are expected to start team practices on Monday, Sept. 28 after a two week delay due to the rise in COVID-19 cases.

Student-athletes received words on Friday, Sept. 24 that they had been given the go-ahead to begin practices on Monday, Sept. 28. This applies to all teams with the exception of volleyball and men’s lacrosse, as they will have to take extra time off due to cases related to their respective teams.

In the email coaches received, which was later forward to student-athletes, the guidelines were outlined for the return to play, which include daily temperature and LiveSafe app check-ins for both coaches and athletes.

Most teams will practice three days a week under the new stipulations, which is less than normal, as NCAA regulations prior to the pandemic would allow for one day off per every seven days. 

Spring and fall season athletes will practice from Sep. 28 to the day before Thanksgiving break, with a break in between, as no sports will be allowed to practice during fall break. Winter sports will get to practice the week after Thanksgiving due to NCAA regulations.

“I’m really excited about finally being able to get our season underway and having things move back to normal,” said senior men’s tennis player Nick Kiser. 

Athletes and coaches have been warned that failure to adhere to the new regulations will result in lost practice time, which has already been seen in the cases of men’s lacrosse and volleyball.