Spotting the Red Flags

Red Flag Week Campaign at Bridgewater College

• BCUnited members sophomore Samantha Klimczak (left) and junior Lindsey Winkels (right). BCUnited tabling event for Red Flag week was held to help students identify red flags in an unhealthy relationship.

• BCUnited places red flags around the campus mall to prompt students to consider red flags in their own relationships, as well as red flags in others’ relationships.

Jalissa White-Jones, Staff Writer

Bridgewater, Va. – During the week of Oct. 26 through 30, Bridgewater College’s BCUnited hosted events dedicated to the Red Flag week campaign. 

“BCUnited is hosting events dedicated to the campaign, encouraging students to speak up when they see red flags and dating violence in their friends’ relationships” said Director of Student Wellness Shannon Pope.

“Red Flag week is BCUnited’s biggest campaign and event of the fall semester,” said Pope. 

According to Pope, Red Flag week aims to teach students how to spot red flags in relationships they face or in others that they may witness day-to-day. 

BCUnited placed red flags around the campus mall and hosted tabling events outside of the Learning Commons. 

“We encouraged students to write down examples of unhealthy relationships on one of our red flags,” said sophomore Samantha Klimczak.

Pope said that it was important for students to not focus only on the red flags, but to also identify the “green flags” in relationships. 

In order to help students identify the differences between red and green flags, or between healthy and unhealthy relationships, BCUnited played their version of Red Light, Green Light on Thursday, Oct 29.

Social media has also been used to spread awareness and to give out prizes and candy.

Students who wear red on Friday, Oct 30, can be entered into a contest on Instagram to win a prize.

If students feel they, or someone they know, may have some red flags in their relationships, they are encouraged to fill out a BCCares form found on MyBC.