BC Allies Strive for Inclusion On-campus

Federal Way Mirror

BC Allies is just one of the many clubs on campus that creates a safe space for communities to talk. If interested in joining a club, Bridgewater College website has all the information needed.

Cassidy Wagoner, Staff Writer

Bridgewater, Va. – BC Allies is a club on campus that starts conversations and educates those about the LGBTQ community. 

BC Allies creates a space where people can feel comfortable asking questions. The club is meant to be educational and informational for those possibly not involved in the LGBTQ community. 

“BC allies is a club dedicated to supporting and promoting the understanding and tolerance of the LGBTQ community on campus,” said club president Garrett Estep, a sophomore. “To better understand it and the things that arise from it.” 

The club is meeting virtually and in-person this semester. They meet once a week on Thursdays from 3:30-4:30 p.m. 

“I never had a club like this in high school. Queer was never talked about or accepted,” said Estep. “It’s exciting to be able to celebrate and educate people about the community.” 

BC Allies is a way for people to learn about themselves or others in a safe and non-harmful environment. The club helps start conversations that those participating may have never had. 

Each week the club addresses a different topic such as community, activism, and education. Through these conversations, members are able to talk about the different identities within the queer community. 

BC Allies is “open to all students, regardless of race, ethnicity, national origin, religion, age, disability, gender or sexual orientation,” according to the Bridgewater College Website.

If you would like to be a part of BC Allies, send an email to [email protected] to get more information.