Bridgewater Eagles Lose Important Conference Game to Roanoke Maroons

Maroons took an 84-41 Victory Over the Eagles

Evan Maxey

The Bridgewater College men’s basketball teams closed out their season with a loss against the Roanoke Maroons.

Evan Maxey, Staff Writer

Bridgewater, Va. –  Men’s basketball fell to the Maroons of Roanoke 84-41 on Saturday afternoon

The Maroons jumped out to an early 7-0 lead over the Eagles and did not give up the lead for the rest of the day. The Eagles first points of the game would finally come almost five minutes into the contest by a jumper from junior guard David Oliveras to make it 7-2. 

BC cut the lead to 12-6 with a layup from first-year forward Alec Topper. However, this was the closest the Eagles would get the rest of the way.

After giving up ten straight points to the Maroons, the Eagles would cut the lead to 22-9 with a three pointer from Topper. After a layup and a successful free throw by Roanoke’s sophomore guard Kasey Draper, the Eagles would call a timeout with 7:17 left in the first half. 

The Eagles came out of the timeout with another made jumper from Oliveras to cut the Maroons lead to 14. BC continued to add to their point total with matching buckets from sophomore forward Jalil Langston and junior guard Andy Pack. 

Roanoke’s Draper became the first player in the game to get into double figures with a three-point jumper. Draper would go to tally 18 first-half points. 

With BC down by 23 points, the Maroons ended the half with two free throws made by first-year forward Justin Kuthan, which brought the score to 46-19 at the half. 

The start of the second-half brought much of the same as the first with the Eagles not scoring until 15:06 left with another jumper from Oliveras.  

Roanoke’s largest lead of the contest, which was by 47, occurred twice in the second half when Kuthan made a layup and then followed it up with a jumper. 

Pack and Oliveras ended the game as the Eagles leading scorers with ten points each. 

BC went on to score their final points of the game with 1:58 left with a jumper by first-year guard Jalen Huntly, bringing their total to 41. 

Roanoke continued scorching the nets, shooting 43% from behind the arc on the day while pouring in 84 points. 

The Eagles finished the season with an overall and ODAC record of 3-5. The Eagles will now be waiting to see the match-ups for the upcoming ODAC tournament. The ODAC tournament will tipoff on March 4.