Bridgewater College Women’s Basketball Season Canceled

Basketball+court

Leyton Pullin

The remainder of the Bridgewater College women’s basketball season has been canceled due to a COVID-19 positive test. The team finishes the season at 4-0 and as the ODAC regular season champions.

Leyton Pullin, Staff Writer

Bridgewater, Va. – On Friday it was announced that the Eagles women’s basketball program has been shut down for the remainder of the 202-21 season due to COVID-19 issues.

The Eagles were set to play in the ODAC quarterfinals as the No. 1 seed in the tournament after completing an undefeated conference schedule at 4-0. 

This is the second time the program has been put on hold due to COVID-19 issues. The Eagles have not played a game since Feb. 9, when the team was paused due to COVID-19 for the first time. 

The Eagles won the ODAC regular season championship and were set to take on Ferrum in the quarter final round on Saturday. That game has been canceled and Ferrum will now advance to the semifinals. 

Three members of the program will now see their careers come to an early end: Cara Helbert, Madison Baum and Aliha Moone.

Helbert will depart from the program as a sophomore and is set to graduate with an undergraduate degree in just two years at BC. 

Seniors Baum and Moone will both depart from the program after successful careers in crimson and gold.

Baum is a four year starter at point guard and was an All-ODAC Third Team selection a year ago and Co-Defensive Player of the Year as well. In her first three years as an Eagle, Baum averaged eight points per game.  

Moone has seen considerable playing time for the Eagles in all of her years at BC. Moone scored a career high of 30 points against Lynchburg earlier this year, beating her previous best of 29 points — which she had reached twice. Moone finishes her career averaging 10.7 points per game, including averaging over 15 in her junior and senior season. 

The Eagles will return sophomore Mary Ruth Shifflett, who has seen a lot of playing time in her first two years on the team. BC also looks forward to the return of two key freshmen — Jaden Alsberry and Jada Gross. 

The team finishes the season with a mark of 4-0, but comes up short of an ODAC crown.