BSA Strives for Continued Student Involvement Through the Pandemic

Black Student Association Stays Active and Connected With Their Community

Daniel Jones

The Black Student Association hosted a Walk for Peace in the Fall 2020 semester. Students had the opportunity to create posters for many different issues that were close to their hearts and advocate for the peace that they would like to see in the world.

Ashlee VanArsdale, Staff Writer

Bridgewater, Va. – COVID-19 has put a pause on many on-campus events and has pushed students towards virtual communication and learning. Throughout the pandemic, the Black Student Association has strived to make their presence known on campus.  

“We didn’t want students to feel like we went away. We are still here, ready to speak up and support them however we can,” said senior Daniel Jones, the public relations coordinator for the club. 

BSA focuses on appreciating, celebrating and acknowledging Black culture through sponsoring events, facilitating discussions and advocating for Black and other minority communities on Bridgewater College’s campus.

“Going into the semester, our goal was to try and keep our members involved and engaged. Our biggest objective was to stay present,” said Jones. 

According to Jones, BSA has been working to network and spread the word about the club to get people interested in their activities, which has been a challenge due to COVID-19 regulations. 

“A lot of other clubs had rough starts and difficulties getting organized and prepared for the year,” said Jones. This has made it challenging for BSA to collaborate with other clubs, which was a goal of theirs. 

Contrary to the club’s setbacks, BSA members are still meeting and making their presence known on campus through engaging events such as their Netflix Zoom party and Black History Month Trivia in February.

The club meets bi-weekly on Wednesdays via Zoom at 6 p.m.

“BSA is a welcoming environment for people of all colors; the club meetings are filled with laughter and nobody’s ideas are left unnoticed,” said club secretary LaJoya Stith, a junior. 

BSA has an event coming up in collaboration with the African Student Association on March 21, 2021 at 3 p.m. 

Students interested in learning more about upcoming BSA events or activities can email [email protected] or follow the club on Twitter and Instagram: @bridgewaterbsa.