Bridgewater College Women’s Tennis Sweeps Mary Baldwin

Bridgewater Eagles Athletics

Malena Hoover (pictured here) and the women’s tennis team opened their season with a 9-0 sweep of Mary Baldwin on Thursday. The Eagles will be back in action on Tuesday as they host Roanoke at 3 p.m.

Leyton Pullin, Staff Writer

Staunton, Va. – The Bridgewater College women’s tennis team opened the season with a 9-0 win over Mary Baldwin on Thursday.

The Eagles played their first match in 367 days, due to COVID-19 finishing last season early. 

The ladies opened the match with a sweep of the doubles, only dropping three games. 

Senior Whitney Kiser and sophomore Malena Hoover muscled their way to a 8-2 win at the No. one slot. 

Senior Rachel Crawford and sophomore Ali Keister teamed up for a solid 8-1 win at the No. two slot. 

First-year Ryan Roeber and senior Alexia Will cruised their way to an 8-0 victory at No. three doubles to complete the doubles sweep.

The Eagles came back out for the singles and made quick work. 

Kiser defeated the No. one slot with a 6-2 6-1 win. Junior Emily Daigneault stepped in to play No. two singles and picked up a 6-2 6-2 win. Crawford slotted into the No. three spot and cruised to a 6-0 6-1 win. Hoover stepped onto the court at the No. four spot and fought her way to a 6-3 6-2 win. 

Keister moved up a spot in the ladder from a year ago to No. 5, and won easily 6-1 6-0. Newcomer Roeber stepped right into the ladder at No. 6 and made her presence felt with a strong 6-0 6-1 win. 

BC moves to 1-0 on the year with the opening match sweep. The Eagles will host the Roanoke College Maroons on Tuesday at 3 p.m — this is also a dual home match with the mens’ team, who also swept MBU on Wednesday.