BC Men’s Tennis Team Faced a Tough loss to Shenandoah University

Matthew+Gordon

Bridgewater Eagles Athletics

The Bridgewater College men’s tennis team fell to Shenandoah University. Junior Matthew Gordon (pictured here) and first-year Gabe Edler defeated the Hornets in their doubles match.

Jordan Brown, Staff Writer

Winchester, Va. – The Bridgewater College men’s tennis team fell 5-4 at Shenandoah University on Thursday afternoon.

The first doubles match played by junior Canon Secord and senior Nick Kiser for BC was against Keith Orr and Vitali Rivera for Shenandoah. The Eagles won the fight 8-6. 

The second doubles match played by junior Matthew Gordon and first-year Gabe Edler for BC was against Darian Diaz and Aidan Steinly for Shenandoah. The Hornets won the match 8-5. 

The third and final doubles match was played by sophomore Leyton Pullin and first-year Bryce Cline for the Eagles against Brenton Baugh and Will Sides for Shenandoah. The Eagles won the match 8-4. 

In the first singles match, Secord played Orr. Secord secured a point for the Eagles by winning the match 7-6 and 6-3.

In the second singles match, Gordon played Rivera. Riviera won the point for Shenandoah by winning the match 7-5, 6-7 and 6-4.

In the third singles match, Kiser played Diaz. Diaz won a point for the Hornets by winning the match 6-1 and 6-1.

The fourth singles match was played by Edler and Baugh. Edler put on a dominating performance and won a point for the Eagles by winning the match 6-1 and 6-0.

The fifth singles match was played by Pullin and Steinly. Steinly won the point for the Hornets by winning the match 6-4 and 6-0.

The sixth and final singles match was played by Cline and Sides. Sides won a point for the Hornets by winning a hard-fought match 7-6 and 7-5.

The Hornets won four of the six singles matches to pull ahead and win 5-4.

The Eagles will return to action Saturday when they host Emory & Henry.