BC Sports Recap 9/12

BC+Football

Bridgewater Eagles Athletics

Bridgewater College athletics completed their second week of competition with a slew of games away from East College Street. This included the football team’s 35-17 win over Southern Virginia University.

Leyton Pullin, Sports Editor

Bridgewater, Va. – Bridgewater College athletics roared into the second week of competition with a slew of road contests before teams will return home for a busy day on Saturday, Sept. 18.

Women’s Cross Country

Women’s cross country opened their season at home in the Eagle Cross Country Challenge and placed second as a team.

First-year Emily Smeds placed first overall in the meet with a time of 15:21. Smeads’ performance earned her ODAC Women’s Runner of the Week. 

The team will be back in action on Sept. 17 at the JMU Invitational.

Men’s Cross Country

Men’s cross country also opened their season at home in the Eagle Cross Country Challenge. The team placed first overall — led by junior Vinny Leo’s second place finish in the meet.

The team also will be back in action on Friday Sept. 17 at the JMU Invitational.

Field Hockey

The field hockey team looked to get into the win column with two games in the matter of a week.

The Eagles opened the week up with the largest win in program history 15-0 over Meredith on Wednesday. 

First-year Emily Tyler led the way for the Eagles with six goals and nearly added another in the closing minutes before it squirted wide. Tyler also added two assists to total 14 points on the day. Tyler’s 14 points ranks her among the top ten all-time in the NCAA DIII for points in a game. 

BC traveled to Juniata on Friday, Sept. 10 and found themselves in a tight contest all the way down to the wire. Senior Caroline Quigley scored the only goal for the Eagles in the second quarter off of a tip in on a penalty corner to tie the game at 1-1, before Juniata took a 2-1 lead early in the fourth quarter to take the lead and the game.

BC (1-3) will travel to Goucher on Tuesday, Sept. 14 as they continue a four game road trip.

Football 

The Eagles football program stayed hot with their second win in as many weeks and their number 16 consecutive win in the traditional fall season. BC defeated Southern Virginia University 35-17.

The Eagles scored 25 unanswered points down the stretch after trailing 7-0 early in the first half.

Senior Matt Lawton threw for 248 yards and added three TDs. Fifth year senior Demetreus Jalepes added 49 yards on the ground and a touchdown. 

Senior Chase Rosenthal earned the ODAC Defensive Player of the Week title as he added an interception that he returned back 53 yards to set up a score for the Eagles.

BC (2-0) will be back in action as they host ODAC rival Randolph-Macon on Saturday, Sept. 18 at 2 p.m.

Women’s Soccer

The women’s soccer program traveled to the Maryville Invitational in Maryville, Tennessee and went 1-1 during the trip.

The Eagles opened up with a 3-1 loss to Covenant in a game where the Eagles got behind early and were unable to recover. The Eagles did win the shots battle putting up 18 compared to Convenant’s eight. The only score for the Eagle’s came on an own goal by Covenant.

In the second game of the weekend, the Eagles defeated the hometown Maryville College Scots 3-0. BC was led by sophomore Skyler Daum, who tallied a goal and an assist during the win. 

BriThe Eagles (3-1) will be back in action with two straight home games on Wednesday, Sept. 15 and Saturday, Sept. 18.

Men’s Soccer

The men’s soccer team traveled to Mary Baldwin on Wednesday, Sept. 8 and suffered a loss to the Squirrels 2-0. 

The Eagles showed the most offense they have all year — out shooting MBU 16-13 in the loss.

BC (0-3) will play its home opener against SVU on Tuesday, Sept. 14 at 4 p.m.

Men’s Tennis

The men’s tennis team opened up their fall 2021 campaign with a solid showing at the WildCat Invitational on Saturday, Sept. 11. Senior Canon Secord led the team on a special match day, as he went 4-0 winning both of the top flights on singles and with fellow senior Matthew Gordon in doubles.

The men will travel to Marymount for a dual match on Wednesday, Sept. 22.

Volleyball

The BC volleyball team suffered a tough week where the Eagles dropped four tight matches — including a four setter against No. 10 Berry. BC will be back at home on Saturday, Sept. 18 as they host a tri match with Hollins and Penn St- Altoona at 11 a.m. and 3 p.m.