Women’s Golf Team Breaks Records at The Bridgewater Invitational

John S. Rogers

From left to right: sophomore Katie Gaeth, first-year Evelyn Hunter, senior Hannah Woodson, first-year Sophia Martone, senior Heather Donnelly, junior Savannah Scott, junior Shaina Beach, junior Madolin Neff. The BC women’s Golf team at their home course invitational. The team finished third in the event.

Taylor Ferguson, Staff Writer

Bridgewater, Va. – The Bridgewater College women’s golf team finished third at the Bridgewater Invitational on Tuesday, Sept. 21.

The Eagles finished with a two-day team score of 627, which is the fourth best score in the record books for BC.

First-year Sophia Martone continues to show out for the Eagles in her first month of collegiate golf. Martone shot a 75 in her first and second round, to finish in second place overall in the two-day tournament.

Junior Savannah Scott also finished in the top ten. Scott was five over in the first five holes, but bounced back and finished only twelve over at the end of the tournament.

“The tournament went really well,” said Scott. “Even though we placed third among some tough competition, we shot our lowest team scores in years, and we had a bunch of players shoot their best collegiate scores. We will definitely carry this momentum into the rest of the season,” said Scott.

Juniors Shaina Beach and Madolin Neff posted their best two-day scores of their career by both shooting an 82 on Tuesday. Beach finished at number 15 in the tournament, while Neff was right behind her at number 16.

Although the team played well on the second day, the Eagles were not able to catch Stevenson or The University of Lynchburg. Lynchburg shot 300 on the second day to propel them to the win. The Hornets won the tournament by eight strokes.

The women’s golf team will be playing their next tournament on Sept. 25-26 at the VSGA Intercollegiate Championship at Shenandoah Valley Golf Club.