Return of Group Fitness Classes

The Funkhouser Center is Once Again Holding Weekly Group Fitness Classes for BC Students

Bryce+Tonya

Brooke DiCicco

Pictured above, senior Bryce Tonia teaches his weekly group cycling class at the Funk. Group Fitness classes are offered to students at the Funk three times a week, with a feature Group Fitness week coming up during the week of Oct. 18.

Katelyn Harrison, Staff Writer

Bridgewater, Va. – Group fitness classes have started back up at the Funkhouser Center, the on-campus recreation facility, with classes including cycling, yoga and tone and training being held throughout each week. 

Group fitness classes are currently being held three times a week, with the hope of adding up to five days a week with class options. 

Cycling and tone and training are both taught by senior Bryce Tonia. Cycling is offered twice weekly, on Mondays and Thursdays at 4:30 p.m.

“Cycling is basically focused on cardio, where we’ll be on the bike, usually it depends during the week, I usually have the class on the cycling bike for about 30 minutes to an hour,” said Tonia.  “Then, the next week, switch it up and cycle for 15 minutes as a warmup and then if it’s a beautiful day outside, we’ll go outside for a nice walk or jog around campus.” 

Tone and training, which was previously titled boot camp, is being held on Fridays at 3 p.m. each week. 

“Tone and training is still work, but it’s basically, you run the class for about an hour with a kind of circuit workout that’s focused on full body, full body motions and everything,” said Tonia. 

Yoga class will be returning to the group fitness class schedule on Oct. 13 at 4 p.m. and will be taught by junior Maggie Hodnett. The class is tentatively scheduled to be held weekly on Wednesdays at 4 p.m. 

“It’s beginner yoga, so it’ll just go through basic yoga,” said Hodnett. “It’s gonna be about 45 minutes, so not too long. It’ll  be a good break for your day after classes to just relax.”

A trial yoga class was held on Sept. 29 at 3 p.m. to see how the class would work. 

“I thought it was really good, it was really relaxing and calm,” said first year Bailey Fulk, who attended the class. 

All group fitness classes are held in the group exercise room in the Funkhouser Center and all necessary equipment is provided. 

Group fitness classes are required to follow the COVID-19 protocols of Bridgewater College. These protocols include being spaced 10 feet apart during class, with the option of mask removal during times of exercise. 

“According to our COVID guidelines that the college has put out, it’s possible to take your mask off if you want to, if you’re actively exercising, not walking around,” said Funkhouser Center Manager Lori Schrock. “But most people wear their masks.”

Looking ahead, the Funkhouser Center is planning to hold a group fitness week, the week of Oct. 18. There will be giveaways and other promotional material for group fitness classes, according to Schrock, who hopes the event will encourage students to attend more classes. 

“Group fitness is a really great option, because when people get involved in group fitness they tend to form connections with the people in the class, the instructor,” said Schrock. “And they tend to stick with their exercise program more consistently and so the relationship there keeps people going.”