Jimmy McCumber Departs Bridgewater College Athletics

Director of Athletic Media Relations Leaves After Six Years of Service

Jimmy+McCumber

Bridgewater College

Jimmy McCumber, Assistant Athletic Director for Athletic Media Relations, Game Day Operations, and Fundraising, has stepped away from the program. McCumber was with Bridgewater College Athletics for nearly seven years.

Erin Dietz, Staff Writer

Bridgewater, Va. – Assistant Athletic Director for Athletic Media Relations, Game Day Operations and Fundraising Jimmy McCumber resigned from Bridgewater College this month to pursue other career opportunities at Marymount University. His last day was October 18.

McCumber joined BC athletics in 2015 and was promoted to assistant athletic director in 2017. 

In his role at BC, McCumber was responsible for game day operations, making him a familiar figure among student athletes. During game days, McCumber ensured that facilities were prepared for events. At football games, he was in the media suite or on the sidelines taking photos and videos of the action. 

During his tenure, McCumber served as the point of contact for the football, men’s and women’s lacrosse, men’s and women’s swimming, field hockey, and men’s and women’s golf programs.

“​​Jimmy did a great job highlighting not just the popular sports, but also those that don’t normally get as much recognition,” said senior Matthew Gordon of the BC men’s tennis team. “His actions are greatly appreciated by ‘the little guys’ and we wish him the best in his future endeavors.”

McCumber also managed the student internship program in the department, helping BC students gain valuable experience working in college athletics. 

“Jimmy was a hard worker; if he could run the whole athletic communications department himself, he would,” said senior Diamond Huskey, a student member of the athletic media relations team. “On every single game day he was always around and willing to help the up and coming students or staff. He told us he is always here to help us in the future for job searches and to guide us in the right direction.”

McCumber also served as the liaison between the athletic department and the Office of Institutional Advancement. He was responsible for organizing and hosting much of the department’s segments during the annual Day of Giving livestream events.

During his time at BC, McCumber served as a member of the Virginia Sports Information Directors. He was named vice president of the VaSID in 2017 and promoted to President in 2019. 

Prior to his arrival at BC, McCumber worked as a Sport Information Director at Albright College, Misericordia University, and fellow ODAC member Sweet Briar College. Outside of college athletics, McCumber took on roles in minor league baseball with the Scranton-Wilkes Barre AAA affiliate of the New York Yankees and the AA affiliate of the Philadelphia Phillies in Reading. 

Former Associate Director of Athletic Media Relations, Lynn Walsh, has been named as McCumber’s replacement.