Crop Hunger Walk

Bridgewater College Students Try to Help End World Hunger

Town+Hall

Jaia Dunbar

The Town of Bridgewater’s Community Center is where walkers will meet on Nov. 7 for the Crop Hunger Walk. Participants will walk about three miles in support of ending world hunger.

Jaia Dunbar, Staff Writer

Bridgewater, Va. – Members of the Bridgewater College Spiritual Life Board hosted a three-day tabling event from Oct. 26 to Oct. 28. The tabling was to encourage students to sign up for the Crop Hunger Walk

The Crop Hunger Walk is a community-led interfaith event that raises money to end hunger locally and around the world. Participation impacts individuals and families in more than 35 countries.

“The crop walk is important to me, because we live in a community where not everyone’s needs are addressed and some people are hungry,” said senior Morgan Pangle. “I am excited that we are able to do this Crop Walk and even if it is a small event, make some sort of change in the world.” 

Interested students can have individuals sponsor them for their walk on a mile basis or for the entire walk. That money in the end will go to the ending hunger fund.

“It is a good way to bring people together. Sometimes when people are being sponsored to do something they are more motivated to come out and support the cause,” said Pangle.

“The Crop Hunger Walk is meaningful to me, because every single day nearly 800 million people are hungry and 16,000 children die from hunger-related causes,” said College Chaplain Robbie Miller. “While these numbers are overwhelming, the Crop Hunger Walk is a simple yet effective way to make a difference.” 

Millions of women and children walk miles everyday to collect water, firewood and food to escape the poverty and hunger they endure. The Crop Hunger Walk motto is “we walk because they walk,” and it gives people a chance to support something through actions and helps bring awareness to a good cause. 

“The Crop Hunger Walk is a way to express solidarity with them, while raising money for them to live healthier and more productive lives,” said Miller.

The Crop Hunger Walk will be held on Sunday, Nov. 7 at 2 p.m. The walk will begin at The Town of Bridgewater Community Center, which is located at 201 Green St.

“While it’s convenient to write a check or use a credit card to support worthy causes, there’s something about walking that reminds me in a physical way of those who ‘get their steps in’ everyday not to lose weight or keep in shape, but simply to survive. The Crop Hunger Walk is a way to fight hunger across the street and around the world one step at a time,” said Miller.

If students or staff would like to sign up to walk they can contact Robbie Miller.