BC Sports Recap 11/14

Bridgewater Eagles Athletics

Senior Demetreus Jalepes and the Bridgewater College football team defeated Guilford on Saturday, 43-0. Jalepes has earned the BCVoice Player of the Week title for his performance. He rushed for 61 yards and scored two touchdowns in the final game of his career.

Leyton Pullin, Sports Editor

Bridgewater, Va. – Fall sports came to an end as the Bridgewater College football team concluded their season on a high note. Winter sports got under way as both basketball teams tipped off their seasons.

Men’s Basketball

The men’s basketball team opened their season with an exhibition as they took on Division I’s Norfolk State University. 

BC led the Spartans at the half (33-29), but ultimately fell (79-56) as the Spartans put up 50 points in the second half.

Senior Andy Pack led the way with 24 points in the loss to Norfolk State — a team that made the NCAA tournament a year ago. 

BC played their first game that counted on the season on Friday, when they took part in the Hyatt Place Tip Off Classic in Fredericksburg, Va.

The Eagles dominated the first half. At the break, they were ahead (36-26) of Mt. Aloysius. However, the second half did not go as smoothly as Mt. Aloysius found themselves in front with 1:56 left in regulation. 

Pack made a layup with 1:36 to go — which put the Eagles in front before a wild 90 seconds saw both teams miss jump shots. Then Pack was put at the line and made only a front end of the one and one, but that would prove to be enough to hold on to win at 59-57.

The men’s program then took on the host school Mary Washington. The Eagles got behind 23-8 in the early going and were not able to recover — despite closing the gap 42-37 at the break.

Mary Washington was able to outscore BC by ten points in the second half, to win 80-65.

First-year Rashod Smith led the Eagles in scoring with 16 points. The Eagles will be in action on Nov. 18 for their first home game of the year. They will host Penn St. Mont Alto. 

Women’s Basketball

The women’s basketball team made a trip to Christopher Newport on Tuesday to take on the Captains.

The Eagles struggled offensively shooting 18/48 from the floor; compared to CNU, who shot 42/85 and went on to win 109-59. This is the Eagles worst loss since Nov. 17, 2019 — when they also lost to the Captains by a score of 106-67.

Senior Erika Nettles led the Eagles in scoring with 13 points.

The Eagles then played their home opener on Saturday, when they hosted former ODAC opponent Emory and Henry.

The Eagles were up at the half (28-25) after a strong second quarter, but the Wasps went on a run right out of the break — to go up 39-38 and never trailed from that point forward. BC did pull it to within a single possession late in the fourth. The Wasps held on to win at 57-51.

The Eagles struggled from the charity stripe shooting 12/24 at the freethrow line. Nettles and Sophomore Jaden Alsberry led the Eagles in scoring with 13 points each.

The Eagles will open conference play on Wednesday, Nov. 17 as they travel to Virginia Wesleyan.

Men’s Swimming

The men’s swim team defeated Randolph in a dual meet 109-40.

First-year Ean Helminger broke two different records in the 200 back and 800 free.

The Eagles will travel to Pennsylvania for the Diamond City Inv. on Nov. 19.

Women’s Swimming

The women’s swim team defeated Randolph (137-35) and Hollins (136-22) in a tri meet. 

First-year Melia Ross broke two records in the wins. Ross was a part of the 400 meter relay team that broke the longest standing record in the BC swim record books. 

Men’s Cross Country

The men’s cross country team took on the NCAA South/Southeast Regional on Saturday. 

BC placed No.16 in the meet. Sophomore Bennett Cupps and junior Vinny Leo led the way for the Eagles placing No. 70 and 78 in the event.

The Eagles will wait for the NCAA to make their at-large selections for the National Championships on Sunday.

Women’s Cross Country

The women’s cross country team took on the NCAA South/Southeast Regional on Saturday. 

The Eagles placed No. 15 in the meet. Sophomore Mackenzie Young led the way finishing No. 16 in the meet and earning All-Region honors.

Football

The BC football team hosted Guilford on Saturday for Senior Day.

The Eagles drove the length of the field on the opening drive, which was capped off by senior Matt Lawton — who scrambled in for a touchdown from five yards out. 

The BC special teams continued their tremendous season as first-year Tucker Harris blocked a punt and caught it all in one motion, then it into the endzone for a score. The Eagles blocked another Guilford punt later in the first half. 

Senior Demetreus Jalepes had an outstanding day in the final game of his career, tallying 61 yards and two touchdowns. Senior Chase Rosenthal had a tremendous day as well. The dual sport athlete had two interceptions, including a pick-six in the 43-0 win on senior day.

The Eagles finish the season at 4-6 and 1-5 in the ODAC.

BC Voice Player of the Week

The BCVoice Player of the Week is Demetreus Jalepes. The senior had not had the senior season he would have probably liked to have had up to this week, but had a coming out party on senior day to finish his career on a high note with 61 yards rushing and two touchdowns. Jalapenos finishes his BC career with 2,493 rushing yards — averaging over 4 yards per carry.