Pre-Health Society Plans for Spring Semester

Lauren Witmer

Lauren Witmer, a senior majoring in biology and chemistry, has been elected president of the Pre-Health Society. Witmer said she enjoys being able to give members the information they need to achieve their career goals while being able to meet people with similar interests.

Mackenzie Hammack, Staff Writer

Bridgewater, Va. – Bridgewater College’s Pre-Health Society has elected executive board members and begun planning society events for the spring semester, including meetings, a table at the BC Club and Organization Fair, guest speakers and more.

“We hope to have multiple professional schools come speak to our members to give insight on application processes and about their respective programs.We have PT schools, vet schools and medical schools coming to present to us. We also hope to host a blood drive this semester,” said senior Lauren Witmer, who is president of the club and plans to attend medical school after graduation. 

Guests from a variety of health disciplines came to speak to the club last semester, but these events were only for members of Pre-Health Society. Moving forward, the club hopes to get even more students involved.

Last semester we had multiple professional schools present to us, and the highlight was probably learning how to suture a banana when we had a surgeon, Dr. Wampler, come speak with us,” said Witmer.

“This semester, we want to make these events accessible for anyone who is thinking about or wants to learn more about what’s available under the Pre-Health umbrella,” said senior Grace Rilee, who is also treasurer and social media manager for the society.

Additionally, the club is also looking forward to offering volunteer opportunities and hosting a picnic at the end of the school year for involved students.

The society is for students who are pursuing further education or careers in health-related fields. The club specifically has representatives for pharmacy, vet, psychology, physical therapy and occupational therapy.

For further information, students can visit the Pre-Health Society’s table at the Clubs and Organizations Fair on Jan. 26 or visit @bcprehealthsociety on Instagram.