Sergio’s Pizza Closes After 37 Years of Business

Location Bought by Town of Bridgewater

Brooke DiCicco

Sergio’s Pizza closed its doors this month, after owner Sergio Coppola made the decision to retire after 37 years of serving the community in order to spend more time with family. The Italian restaurant was located at 425 N. Main Street in the Town of Bridgewater.

Brooke DiCicco, Photography Manager

Bridgewater, Va.- After 37 years of serving Italian staples to college students and local residents, owner Sergio Coppola has decided to retire and sell Sergio’s Pizza. The property has been purchased by the Town of Bridgewater to build a pharmacy and medical offices. 

“Our family would like to thank you for supporting us for the past 37 ½ years,” wrote Coppola on a Facebook post from December. “We hope that when you think of Sergio’s Pizza, you will smile and remember all the good times we have shared over the years.”

During the time that Sergio’s Pizza was open, Coppola said that many of his family members had worked in the restaurant throughout the years. 

“Sergio’s Pizza was opened in July of 1984. My brother, Roberto, and sister, Letizia, worked with me,” said Coppola. “Over the years, my wife and five children have also worked at the shop, at one time or another. Even my son and daughter-in-law met when she was working at the shop.” 

The final few days that the restaurant was open they only accepted take out orders. They closed their doors for good on Jan. 15.

Coppola hopes to spend his retirement with his wife, children and grandchildren.

“Finally, I want to thank all of our customers. Without you, we wouldn’t have been here all these years,” said Coppola. “We have met so many wonderful people and value the friends we have made. We will miss you, it’s been a pleasure serving you.”