Bridgewater College Men’s Basketball Team Struggles in Loss to Guilford

Bridgewater Eagles Athletics

First-year Shod Smith breaks the opposing team’s tricky full court pressure and looks to get to the rim and provide a late second half burst for the Eagles. Smith had eight points in the Saturday game against Guilford to go with five rebounds and three assists.

Nathaniel Winebarger, Staff Writer

Bridgewater, Va. – The Quakers of Guilford College traveled to BC Saturday afternoon to take on the Eagles in a low scoring ODAC basketball showdown that left the Quakers with a much needed 61-43 win. 

Guilford was led by senior Liam Ward who provided a substantial presence in the paint for the Quakers. BC had no answer for Ward, who finished with 23 points on 8-17 shooting. He also grabbed 11 boards and dished out one lone assist. 

At one point in the second half, Ward caught a tough pass at the free throw line, took two dribbles and finished hard at the rim for an and one opportunity. He waved his hands back and forth signaling it was over for the Eagles.  

Senior Tyler Dearman also had a big day for the Quakers, as he shot 5-14 from the field to finish with 13 points. Even as a guard, Dearman scrapped nine rebounds and had three assists to go along.  

The Eagles were outrebounded 47-39 as Guilford was all over the glass Saturday.  

BC scored a season low 43 points Saturday. Guilford’s defense was a problem all day for the young BC squad, as they coughed it up 20 times. Guilford turned those turnovers into 27 points off turnovers. 

The Eagles got production from several different guys, but it was Aaron Oates – one of two first-year starters for the BC squad – who led them with 11 points and six rebounds and was able to provide some energy when Bridgewater needed it most.  

Also providing a spark off the bench, like he has for most of the season, was Alec Topper, a sophomore from Monroe, NC, who scored nine points and came down with 16 boards. Topper was inches away from a tremendous putback dunk that could have helped shift the momentum in the game.

Under the ten minute mark in the second half, the Eagles cut down a lead from ten to two – which gave themselves a chance heading down the stretch. The combination of Dearman and Ward was just too much as they helped the Quakers pull away from the Eagles late in the game.