BC Allies Gearing Up for the Spring Semester

Jessica Arnold

Beth Gaver, a junior at Bridgewater College and an active member of BC Allies. Club meetings have resumed for the semester and will be held on Thursdays at 4 p.m. in the McKinney 100.

Jessica Arnold, Staff Writer

Bridgewater, Va. – The BC Allies leadership team has been working on planning club meetings and events for the new semester, and their weekly meetings have just resumed. 

BC Allies held their first meeting of the semester on Thursday, Jan. 27. Weekly meetings will continue to be held on Thursdays from 4 p.m. to 5 p.m. in the McKinney Center. 

Club president Garret Estep, a junior at Bridgewater College, stated that the first meeting was for getting to know each other, learning about the club and making plans. 

Future events being planned include a drag show and activities related to No Name Calling week – which Estep explains is for “drawing attention to different identities and how they’re represented.”

Their club meetings usually consist of discussing various topics, such as advocacy, politics and sexualities – while others are just for playing games and having fun together. 

Estep shared that the club is intended to be a safe place for people to learn, grow and talk.

“It’s fun to educate people on queer topics and more serious concerns in the community,” said Estep. “Everyone has more to learn, including myself.”

Junior Beth Gaver stated that her favorite part of being involved with the club is “being in a secure place surrounded by friendly, accepting people.” 

“Everyone is welcome, and if people have questions, they can reach out to me,” said Estep.  

For more information on the club and future events, visit the club’s Instagram page @bc_allies or contact Garrett Estep at [email protected]