Bridgewater College Men’s Lacrosse Rallies in the Second Half to Win

Senior defender Grayson Rech

Bridgewater Eagles Athletics

Senior defender Grayson Rech setting the tone and holding off the Comets throughout the second half in the lacrosse defeat of Capital University.

Taylor Ferguson, Staff Writer

Bridgewater, Va. – The Bridgewater Eagles men’s lacrosse team played their second game of the season at home against Capital University on Feb.19. The Eagles made a comeback in the second half to claim their second win on the season. Bridgewater defeated the Comets 12-10. 

In the first quarter, sophomore midfielder Grant Nyland scored the first goal of the game for the Eagles – making the score 1-0. Nyland’s goal was quickly followed by another goal from senior team captain and attacker Chris Martel. 

The Eagles held a two to zero lead over the Comets until junior midfielder Nathan Montgomery scored their first goal. Thanks to junior midfielder Brenden Pelton scoring the second goal, the Comets tied the game up at 2-2. 

At the end of the first quarter, Martel scored his second goal of the game to give BC the lead at 3-2. 

To begin the second quarter, sophomore attacker Mason Spaulding, for the Comets, scored his first of the game to tie the score at 3-3. Shortly after, Spaulding got his second goal to take the lead over the Eagles 4-3. The Comets caught fire and scored the next two goals of the half to make the score 6-3. 

The Eagles won the faceoff to start the second half, but it was short lived because the Comets scored to increase their lead 7-3. Senior attacker Lucas Johnson for the Eagles scored the Eagle’s first goal of the second half, cutting it to a three-point lead for the Comets. 

The Eagles felt the momentum swing their way and senior midfielder Sam Homick made a nice assist to Martel, who scored his third goal of the game. The captain quickly scored his fourth goal of the game to trail the Comets by one point, 7-6. The Eagles were quick to answer again with senior attacker Connor Mclean to score and tie the game at 7-7. 

Martel was on fire in the third quarter scoring two more goals, one being a buzzer to give the Eagle’s the lead at 9-7 at the end of the third quarter. 

The Comets scored to open the fourth frame. Senior midfielder Trent Cheyney answered back with a goal for the Eagles giving them a 2-point lead over the Comets – making the game 10-8. Martel added another for the Eagles, followed by Mclean making the game 12-8 over the Comets. 

The Eagles were able to hold off the Comets by only giving up two goals at the end of the game – making the final score of the game 12-10. 

“We started slow, but had a great team effort to turn it around in the second half. Great group effort to secure the win,” said Martel.

“Hard Fought, came down to pure grit and who wanted it more,” added senior defender Grayson Rech.

The Eagles (2-0) will be traveling to Philadelphia to play against RPI on Feb. 26 at 2:00 p.m.