Bridgewater Men’s Lacrosse Puts on a Clinic Against Wilkes University

Bridgewater Eagles Athletics

Senior midfielder Sam Homick dicing up defenders and scoring his second goal of the game for the Eagles as they competed against the Colonels.

Taylor Ferguson, Staff Writer

Bridgewater, Va. – On Tuesday, Mar. 8, the Bridgewater men’s lacrosse team defeated the Colonels with ease at home 17-10.

To start the first quarter, senior midfielder Eric Leasner scored two goals – making the score two to zero. Leasner also scored his first goal of the 2022 season. The Colonels found a little momentum and were able to answer back with two of their own goals to tie the game up, 2-2 in the first quarter. 

Senior captain and attacker Chris Martel scored the next goal for Bridgewater. Martel is on pace to join the 100 point club for the men’s lacrosse team. The Eagles were on the offensive the entire game; sophomore midfielder Hayden Gourley tacked on another goal for the Eagles making the score four to two.

To end the first quarter, senior attacker Connor Mclean who recently joined the 100 point club, was able to add another goal for the Eagles. The Eagles did not stop there, senior midfielder Sam Homick scored the last goal of the quarter from deep to increase the lead by four points. 

The Eagles closed the first quarter with a 6-2 lead over the Colonels. 

The second quarter started off a bit slow for both teams. The Colonels were able to score the first goal quarter. The Eagles’ head coach Mic Grant took a time out during the middle of the quarter and brought out the white board to discuss a game plan for the rest of the game. 

After the intermission, the Eagles never looked back and Mclean scored a goal for the Eagles – assisted by Martel. The Eagles scored the next four goals to end with the Colonels only scoring two in the entire quarter, which put the Eagles up 11-5 at the half.

At the start of the second half, Homick scored his second goal of the game and the first of the second half – increasing the Eagles’ lead by seven points. Mclean was having himself a field day and had a hatrick, three goals in the game. 

Bridgewater Eagles first-year attacker Korey Polo scored his first collegiate career goal late in the third quarter, making the lead 14-6. The Colonels scored the last point of the quarter and cut the Eagles’ lead to seven. 

The Eagles closed the third quarter with a 14-7 lead over the Colonels. The Colonels were able to score the first goal of the last quarter. 

In the fourth quarter, senior midfielder Trent Cheyney scored a goal off a Colonel’s foot, which was his second in the game. Polo and first-year midfielder Jackson Wicker scored his first goal of his collegiate career at Bridgewater College. The Colonels scored three goals in the fourth quarter, but the Eagles’ defense was able to hold them from catching any more momentum. 

“As a team we played well and came together to achieve a victory,” said senior midfielder Eric Leasner. “Although we won, we will not look away from the game as just a victory; we will take it upon a learning curve. Coach Grant emphasizes that we treat every game, even a win, as a learning opportunity.” 

“We had lots of contributions from our underclassmen like Korey Polo and Jackson Wicker on both sides of the ball. We have to get ready for a long road game at Virginia Wesleyan on Saturday. Happy with our performance, but we are hungry for more,” said senior Trent Cheyney 

The Eagles defeated Wilkes University 17-10. The men’s lacrosse team will have their first ODAC game this Saturday, March 12 at Virginia Wesleyan at 3 p.m.