BC Sports Recap: Spring Break Edition

Leyton Pullin

Bridgewater College student-athletes spent their Spring Break competing all over the map. The week was highlighted by the men’s and women’s tennis teams, who went 3-1 during their trip to South Carolina

Leyton Pullin, Sports Editor

Bridgewater, Va. – While many students returned home for Spring Break, the student-athletes of Bridgewater College were hard at work. Many sports teams took trips across the country to compete – including the Carolinas and California.

Men’s Tennis

The men’s tennis team traveled to Hilton Head, S.C. for Spring Break and took part in PTR Spring Tennis Fest. The Eagles picked up wins over three DIII opponents during the week. 

The week was opened by a 5-4 win over Hanover, which was clinched by a win at the No. five spot by first-year Matthew Leonard. The Eagles added another win with a 6-3 victory over St. Vincent and rounded out the week with a 9-0 sweep of Brevard College.

The only defeat the Eagles suffered was to DII powerhouse Tiffin University (6-1). Junior Leyton Pullin picked up the only point for the Eagles with a win at the No. six spot.

Women’s Tennis

The BC women’s tennis team also traveled to Hilton Head, S.C. over the break and went 3-1 on the week.

First-year Grace Knighton came through when it mattered for the Eagles as she picked up clinching victories at the No. six spot against Hanover and Brevard. 

BC also added a sweep of St. Vincent (9-0), but fell to DII Tiffin (7-0) in their only defeat.

Men’s Golf

The men’s golf team took a trip to Myrtle Beach for a two-day event with one of the toughest fields they will face all year.

Junior Jacob Sears picked up the lowest round on the second day for the Eagles of a 75 (+3). 

The Eagles placed No. 16 in the event.

Bridgewater then took on former ODAC foe Emory & Henry to wrap up the week. The Eagles took down the Wasps in a tiebreak procedure as the team scores were tied after the rounds were complete.

Women’s Golf

The women’s golf team took a trip to Ocean Isle Beach, N.C. over the break and placed No.three overall in the event.

Junior Madolin Neff led the way for the Eagles on the second day of the event with an 80 (+8) that placed her No. 16 overall in the event. Bridgewater placed No.three as a team.

BC then took on Emory and Henry in a dual match and fell to the former ODAC foe 339-376.

Baseball

The BC baseball team traveled to southern California during the break and put together a 3-2 record.

The Eagles picked up their first win of the week with a 26-7 rout of Caltech on Feb. 8. Junior Jeffrey Snider led the way with five RBIs.

BC then finished the week with two straight victories over Redlands (9-4) and Whittier (12-7).

Softball

The BC softball team also took a trip to southern California over Spring Break.

During the break, the Eagles went 3-5 – including splitting doubleheaders with Redlands, Occidental and Pomona-Pitzer.

Senior Sarah Wimer had a great showing over the break with 12 RBIs and two home runs. Junior Brantley Swift led the way in the circle as she tossed 14.2 innings with a team-best 2.39 ERA.

Women’s Lacrosse

The women’s lacrosse team stayed relatively local during the break; they picked up a win over nearby opponent Southern Virginia University 16-12. Junior Maddie Magill netted four goals in the win.

BC then took a trip north to just outside of Baltimore, MD as they took on Stockton at the National Lacrosse Hall of Fame. 

The Eagles fell behind 5-1 in the first quarter and were not able to bounce back. Junior Annika Benson scored twice in the loss.

Men’s Lacrosse

The men’s lacrosse team went 1-2 over Spring Break – including picking up a 23-5 win over Chatham. Senior Chris Martel scored six times in the win and also added an assist. 

The Eagles dropped a pair of contests on the road over the break to RPI 13-11 and Mary Washington 13-9.

During the break, senior Connor McLean crossed the 100 career point mark – which makes him the seventh Eagle to do so in program history.