Bridgewater Men’s Lacrosse Wins Thriller Over the Cardinals

https://mcleandkphotography.smugmug.com/Bridgewater-College-Mens-Lacrosse/2022-0315-BC-MLAX-vs-North-Central-Game/i-97BbF3Q/A

Senior midfielder Hunter Becker scoring his fourth goal of the game against North Carolina Central on March 16 and achieving his highest scoring game of his senior season.

Taylor Ferguson, Staff Writer

Bridgewater, Va. – The Bridgewater College men’s lacrosse team won a close game at home against North Carolina Central College on March 16. The final score of the game was 12-9. The Eagle’s record is now 6-2. 

The first quarter of the game was very low, both teams only scored two goals. The Cardinals were able to score the first goal of the game in the first minute of the quarter. 

The Eagles answered in the middle of the quarter thanks to senior attacker Christ Martel, who also recently joined the 100-point club for the Eagles. BC took the lead shortly after Martel’s goal with sophomore midfielder Hayden Gourley slinging the ball in from deep. 

The Eagles led the game 2-1, until the Cardinals tied it up at the end of the quarter. To start the second quarter, it was a tie game until senior midfielder Trent Cheyney scored for the Eagles – giving them the lead. 

Another player for the Eagles had his best game of the 2022 season. Senior midfielder Hunter Becker had four total goals in the game and his first was in the second quarter from a beautiful assist by senior midfielder Sam Homick. 

This two-point lead did not last long for the Eagles, because the Cardinals came out after a timeout called by the Eagles with a game plan and scored three unanswered. The Cardinals had a one-point lead over the Eagles until senior attacker Connor Mclean tied the game up five to five. 

At the end of the first half, both teams scored in the last minute to maintain a tie of six to six. 

At the start of the second half, Becker scored his second goal of the game to give the Eagles the lead. The Cardinals were able to tie the game at seven a piece, but Becker earned his hat trick with his third goal of the game and second of the quarter. 

First-year attacker Korey Polo scored a goal for the Eagles in the third quarter to give the Eagles a two-point lead (9-7). 

At the end of the third quarter, the Cardinals decreased the Eagles’ lead to only one point (9-8). 

At the start of the fourth quarter, the Cardinals scored to tie the game up nine to nine. Martel answered again with a goal of his own to give the Eagles a one-point lead in the beginning of the fourth. 

The Eagles caught fire and scored two more, while their defense held the Cardinals to only one goal in the entire fourth quarter. 

Becker and Homick both scored the last two goals of the game and the Eagles won 12-9. 

“It was a hard-fought game against a very tough opponent, but a great team win that really sets us up for a great run in the ODAD this year,” said becker. 

The BC men’s lacrosse team’s record has improved to 6-2.