Women in STEM Chit-Chat

Stormi Nuckoles

The panel members sitting at the front of the Great Room in the FLC. The panel featured 8 women in STEM roles, 6 of which are Bridgewater College alumni.

Stormi Nuckoles, Staff Writer

Bridgewater, Va.- On Wednesday, March 23 the Computing Club and Women at Work co-hosted a Women in STEM panel in the Great Room of the FLC. 

The panel members discussed how they came to be in their current careers and what the field of STEM is like for women – both when they were first starting out and in the present day. Many of the women found themselves not having many role models and women in leadership roles in STEM. 

The alumni panel members were Christine Andrews, class of 1994; Mary Lou Bourne, class of 1983; Cathay Crist, class of 1979; Stephanie Gregoria, class of 2001; and Myrta See, class of 2009. 

Professor of Biology and Environmental Science Robyn Puffenbarger, junior biology and environmental science double major Allison O’Brien and Associate Vice President for Information Technology Kristy Rhea, class of 2002, also participated on the panel. 

The panel discussed the evolution of women in STEM and the difficulties of not seeing women in leading STEM roles during their college career. 

In fact, women account for 28% of the STEM field. Although times are changing, the gender gap is still prevalent with the field being more male dominant. More often than not, men make almost double the amount as women in the same field.

The women on the board noticed that female identifying individuals are increasing their interest and their presence in the STEM field. Panelists encouraged the younger generation to fight for that equality and to take opportunities that promote growth. 

The panel members sitting at the front of the Great Room in the FLC. Featured in the front is Christine Andrews, who helped establish the breakthrough of the Pfizer vaccine.
The panel members sitting at the front of the Great Room in the FLC. Featured in the front is Christine Andrews, who helped establish the breakthrough of the Pfizer vaccine. (Stormi Nuckoles)

“Always say yes to opportunities, especially when you just start out. Something that is super beneficial to me is always making sure that I am happy and that I am taking those opportunities to learn,” said See. 

The women on the panel also explained the importance of having connections with peers of the same field and having mentors that can help guide you.

“It’s about collaborations, because you are not going to be able to do it all. You can’t take the ball and always score. People in different disciplines and different walks of life are going to help not just you, but the purpose that you are working towards,” said Rhea.

The panelists discussed that expanding connections and increasing your social network is vital to establishing a solid support system and working your way up in the field. These supports can help you when you feel stuck or need a different outlook on a situation. However, do not let these connections hold you back from growing and expanding in your career.

“Make sure that you are looking out for yourself. Don’t assume that just because you are doing a great job that someone is going to notice that and that you have the visibility to create and seek opportunities. That you may have to leave the company to get a new opportunity,” said Andrews. 

The panelists emphasized that sometimes life will not work out and the decisions you make may not lead to the outcome that you desired. Do not let that failure hinder you from revising your method and trying again. Never give up.

“If you have a bad experience, or if you go and apply for a job or interview and it doesn’t go so great, just shake it off. It will be okay. That doesn’t define who you are. That doesn’t define your worth – you define that for yourself,” said O’Brien.