Bridgewater Men’s Lacrosse Team Loses to Hampden Sydney in an ODAC Contest

Bridgewater Eagles Athletics

Senior captain attacker Chris Martel scoring his hundredth collegiate career goal against the Hampden Sydney Tigers on Saturday, March 26. Martel now has the 100 point club for the Bridgewater Men’s lacrosse team.

Taylor Ferguson, Staff Writer

Bridgewater, Va.- The Eagles men’s lacrosse team traveled down to Farmville to face ODAC rival Hampden Sydney on Saturday, March 26. The Tigers defeated the Eagles 10-6. The Eagles are now (7-3) and (2-1) in the ODAC. 

To begin the first quarter, the Eagles were the first to score thanks to sophomore midfielder Hayden Gourley. The Eagles were quick to score again and increase their early lead with a contribution from sophomore attacker Trevor McClelland. 

The Eagles had a 2-0 lead over Hampden Sydney, but the Tigers scored their first goal in the last few seconds of the first quarter. The Eagles led the game two to one. 

In the second quarter, the Tigers scored two goals in the first few minutes of the game to take a one point lead. The Eagles tied the game up thanks to senior captain attacker Chris Martel. Martel scored his hundredth goal and has now joined the hundred goal club.

Hampden Sydney scored again late in the second quarter. The Tigers had a four to three lead over the Eagles going into halftime. 

The third quarter was a defensive battle on both sides, only three goals were scored in the quarter and two of them being by the Tigers. The Eagles scored one goal cutting the Tiger’s lead to only two points. McClellan scored his second goal of the game. 

At the end of the third quarter, the Tigers lead six to four. 

In the fourth quarter of the game, Martel scored the first goal and the Tigers only led by one point. This lead would not last long, because Hampden Sydney went to score four more goals in the quarter and the Eagles only scored one more goal from McClelland. 

“Tough game against a strong ODAC team. We put forth a solid team effort, but were not able to come out with a win. Defense played a sound game but we had trouble finding the back of the net on the offense –which caused us to come up short against the Tigers,” said senior midfielder Sam Homick. 

The Hampden Sydney Tigers defeated the Eagles 10-6. The Eagles will be back in competition on April 2 against Randolph Macon at home. The game will begin at 4 p.m.