Filling BCSA Positions

Matt Cosner

BCSA Chair junior Dolan Nethercutt hosts the first BCSA Townhall on Jan. 21. BCSA is working to fill other positions in the organization, including co chair, committee directors and committee chairs.

Katelyn Harrison, Staff Writer

Bridgewater, Va. – The Bridgewater College Student Association is working to fill their open positions and get the organization ready to take a larger role in the 2023 Fall semester. 

BCSA Chair junior Dolan Nethercutt holds monthly town hall meetings for students to come and discuss what BCSA is and what the open positions are. There were two informal town halls on Jan. 21 and Feb. 18. A formal town hall was held on March 18. 

“The first formal one that we just had went very well,” said Nethercutt. “There weren’t too many people there, but the people that were there were very active; they asked a lot of questions. I feel like we had a good discussion.” 

The organization is still looking to fill various positions, including the co chair position, committee director positions and committee chair positions. 

“We are working to fill the co chair position. Dolan has done a really good job of connecting with students and kind of trying to explain what the co chair position is, which has seemed to garner some interest from folks,” said Samantha Huyard, formerly Samantha Schlernitzauer, coordinator of student engagement and leadership. “So as people have shared that they’re interested in the position, we’ve been reaching out to them and providing them with the application.” 

There are five committee director and committee chair positions to be filled. Committee directors are faculty and staff members and committee chairs will be selected from club representatives. 

“We’re working on filling the positions, it’s just taking a little bit longer than we had hoped for,” said Huyard. 

To help with filling positions, Nethercutt is holding office hours that students can attend to learn more about BCSA. The hours and locations are as follows: 

Mondays: Bowman Lobby, 3-4 p.m.

Tuesdays: KCC Lobby, 2-3 p.m. 

Wednesdays: FLC, 3-4 p.m.

Thursdays: Mckinney Lobby, 4-5 p.m.

Fridays: Eagle’s Nest, 3-4 p.m.

Moving to next semester, Nethercutt will be taking a role in Admitted Students Days and during Welcome Week – with a focus on spreading the word about BCSA. 

“Our main focus for this semester is to continue to push BCSA out,” said Huyard. “We just got some merchandise in, we got laptop stickers for students and things like that, that he’ll continue to help give out to continue pushing BCSA.”